Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to fly fishing, I just bought an 8 1/2ft 5 wt and I love it!  I talked my dad into coming out with me for casting practice and such (he's been tinkering with a fly rod for a couple years now) and found out that he's been using a 9ft 7wt rod and doesn't know the line weight or type (got it at a garage sale).  I have watched him catch fish on this setup, but we fish high alpine stillwater almost exclusively.  Like I said I've seen him catch fish with this setup, but now that I know a little more I've gotta believe that he'd do better with a lighter setup.  What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Depends on how big the fishies are in your high alpine lakes. I'm sure most would do well with a 5 weight. I like lightweight gear anyway, but sometimes when it's windy, a heavier rod sure would be nice. Then again, when it's windy and I'm on a lake, I'll pull out a spinrod in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'm thinking 5wt also, he has a spinning setup, and can use it when the wind picks up. I guess I should've asked in the begining of the thread, what rod would you suggest in a 5 wt for about $100. If I can find a decent one I'll get it for Father's Day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm still shopping. Hoping for a Fathers Day sale. After buying my complete setup last month, I'd sure love to save a few bucks, especially since there's still plenty of stuff I still need/want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts