Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided that there was no way in hell i was gonna buy one of those expensive rod racks that they sell that can cost well over $100. plus i was tired of putting rods in my jeep and tryin to get people inside too..plus chick just dont dig ridin with rods next to their face..

so i put this together awhile back meant to post it a long time ago but never did. anyway about 20 bucks of material later and a few hours of my time i made my own...can hold 4 rods easy..made of pvc pipe and some ghetto rhino liner and spray paint and bolts

tell me what you think

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
That looks pretty sweet. What do you have on the rod tips? I'm always worried that something will hit the tip (assuming that gravel will, for once, miss my windshield) and damage it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ya, the rods are pretty exposed. I woulda just cut a few segments of ~6" diam pvc and thread one end for a screw cap, glue a cap to the other end. Just slide the rods in, screw shut, and strap those to your rack. Then even if they fell off somehow, your rods/reels would be well protected.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Looks good. In response to the other comments about the rod tips, would it be feasible to turn the rod rack 180 degrees so that the rod tips face the back of your vehicle? That way the wind will be flowing over the rods from the end to the tips, and not putting so much wind force on the tips and exposing them to the gravel.

Also, you might want to consider placing your tie down rope over just the rods, and not over both the rods and the line. The line may get abrasions from the rope during travel...

Nice job on the do-it-yourself rack!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the most part i only use the rack for short rides to lakes or streams. As for the tips im not sure if they can get damaged. When i moved to fort collins i had them on the top the whole way (highlands ranch to foco) and i was doin like 80 on i25 and they seemed fine but idk.

BabyHuey said:
Looks good. In response to the other comments about the rod tips, would it be feasible to turn the rod rack 180 degrees so that the rod tips face the back of your vehicle? That way the wind will be flowing over the rods from the end to the tips, and not putting so much wind force on the tips and exposing them to the gravel.

Also, you might want to consider placing your tie down rope over just the rods, and not over both the rods and the line. The line may get abrasions from the rope during travel...

Nice job on the do-it-yourself rack!
And you are right the rods can be turned around which would also work great IMO. And to what u said about the line, i dont leave the line through the guides i reel it all in so there is no need to worry about it too much. (the line was just out in the guides when i took the picture)

Otherwise thanks for your opinion guys i appreciate it and will take ur ideas into consideration

1 - 7 of 7 Posts