Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chevy Silverado w/ a Topper. I'm tired of laying my rod/reels on the bed to get knocked around and all beat up. Anyone got some ideas for custom rod/reel holders for the bed of a truck? I've seen some cool PVC holders, just trying to get some different ideas?!?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You can make one that locks out of PVC and an Ammo can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was actually having the same problem and devised an idea yesterday. I saw the rod storage racks that bass pro has for sale and thought it would be super easy to get a set and glue some good magnets to the base of it. That way even with rods longer than the bed you can easily cant them to allow your rod ends to stick towards the top of your topper. And with the magnets, they would be very versatile for several different arrangements.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Bass pro makes a nice rod rack that hangs inside of your topper. I think it holds 10+ rods at a time.

You can make a rod hanger in your topper for cheaper with some stuff from HD. Only problem is if you have somewhere for it to attach to. I have a set up in my work van and Tahoe, luckily I had good places to attach to. I'll take pics and post later. I'm sure some of the other guys have cool set ups.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
This is what I used for mine.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-in-to-48-in-Adjustable-Bungee-Cords-2-Pack-2S9C0N/100401412

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-6-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT6-2PK-01/203210506?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203210641-_-203210506-_-N

Those black twisty ties hold rods securely so they don't move around and get rubbed by the bungee.Hope that works for you , if not just throw an old comforter on the bed and lay your rods on there. Hooks may get stuck every now and then, but it's an old comforter so ripping small holes in it doesn't matter :biggrin1:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
About 7 years ago someone did me a favor by liberating my truck of its head unit, leaving a convenient hole in my dash. Now I am able to insert the rods, butt end first, through the open slider window and the reels rest smartly in the "reel hole". I can get 4 reels/rods in there comfortably.

Installation - Just leave your truck in a Boulder apartment complex parking lot over a weekend and you too might get lucky enough to come back to find a brand new reel hole. Pro-tip - leave your truck unlocked to avoid window replacement.
:thumb:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
About 7 years ago someone did me a favor by liberating my truck of its head unit, leaving a convenient hole in my dash. Now I am able to insert the rods, butt end first, through the open slider window and the reels rest smartly in the "reel hole". I can get 4 reels/rods in there comfortably.

Installation - Just leave your truck in a Boulder apartment complex parking lot over a weekend and you too might get lucky enough to come back to find a brand new reel hole. Pro-tip - leave your truck unlocked to avoid window replacement.
:thumb:
Unexpected gifts are the best! :D I gotta ask: was your truck unlocked?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
No, they shattered my drivers side window. It had an illegal tint, so I think they just wanted me to be safer.

My brother was living in Boulder until recently and had his vehicle broken into twice and his apartment broken into once, over the last year.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It had an illegal tint, so I think they just wanted me to be safer.
Two presents in one! Whoever did it to you was indeed generous. Seriously: schucks. I wasn't aware Boulder was bad. I never had my cars broken into. Anywhere. Not even in West Philadelphia or not so good hoods in Minnesota or Fresno. I'm lucky I guess. Or maybe I just never had anything good in my cars... :D Never had any fancy after market parts or upgraded stereo.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If you leave any stuff visible in your vehicle it's just a matter of time. Big problem in Denver these days.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
That's a big reason why I never replaced the head unit, aside from the rod holding function. The window cost $190 to replace and the CD player was worth next to nothing. I'd rather them look in and see an empty hole and move on.

I have an amp under the seat with an audio cable I just plug into my phone now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you leave any stuff visible in your vehicle it's just a matter of time. Big problem in Denver these days.
My truck sits in my driveway and is usually only driven on weekends, for small home projects and carrying my fishing gear. Nothing stays in my truck while it sits. I just don't want to have my nice gear rolling around in the bed when I do get to go fishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts