Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up two SAGE rods. A 9'6" 5wt Sage ONE and a 8'9" 3wt Sage Circa.

First - THE ONE
I really hadn't wanted to try this one. Several people (couple on the forum) have this rod and have talked about how great it is for a while. With a name like "THE ONE" I had an issue with the pompous ass statement that makes. That all being said, I sold off 4 other rods and a couple other things over the last few months, and I needed a 5wt. So why not?

the Good - it is fast. If you are a Fast rod person, it has some serious backbone. I like the length as it does tend to pick up quick and gives you a touch more range for nymphing. Took it out and it picks up larger streamers with ease and really punches the wind.
I did the ubiquitous distance cast with it and it easily will throw the line and some backing if that's what you need.

The Bad - Calling it the ONE is ridiculous. Its a good 5wt and has similar power and distance as the Scott S4 but it doesn't have some of the touch I like. Now a different line may add to that, and Ill try a few, but under 20' casts needed a quick haul to roll over. The feel just isn't delicate at all.
Overall - I like it and will probably enjoy it more as time goes and I get a bit better feel. However, it won't be my everyday rod. More of that windy day, bigger water rod. Final BAD, the PRICE - If I had to pay full boat, I would have an issue here. For the money, its simply not there. Frankly, for a 1/3 of the price a G loomis, TFO, etc. have rods as good.

The CIRCA.
My favorite rod that I ever owned was a Sage SP. I had it in a 3wt, and a 5wt. Being younger and stupid back then, I sold them to buy the latest and greatest as they came along. DUMB. Wish I hadn't done that, but that's how youth works....

So, I was excited to try this rod. I got it in a 3wt as for our rivers that is my typical rod I like. Also, I fish a lot of dries from June on and wanted something with a slower feel for rolling over dries on shorter casts.

The GOOD - it isn't nearly as slow as advertised, which is actually a good thing. I didn't want whippy (old school glass or bamboo) more in between. This rod is exactly what I wanted. It has a smooth action that reminds you that you are using a fly rod and the rod is supposed to flex. It rolls over a tight loop on every cast I played with . I did try the distance test here too, and for colorado, this thing had plenty of backbone and distance.

i fired it into some 20mph winds as well and with some quick hauls, it rolls over tight lines.

Finally, between the two rods, this one plays fish with more feel and fun.

The bad - not for everyone. Got to slow it down or you won't like this rod. The only other bad thing is just like the One - Price. I would be much more likely to spend on this one than the ONE. If you compare to old glass or boo, then this is a steal, but for what it is - 7 bills is a lot.

Overall, if you have the money to spend and its not an issue, then both are good rods. I do consider the CIRCA better for me, but that's the beauty of fishing - everyone can do it different and still have a good time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Good reviews!

I bought and sold the Circa. Just wasn't for me. I wouldn't call it slow but I really wouldn't know what to call it. It's a niche rod. I think if you want to carry a dedicated dry rod for mid to smaller bugs then it may work great. However if you are a person who wants a rod to do most everything well then pass.
This rod is not a split shot girdle bug or steamer rod. It may be able to do it but it isn't going to do it well.

I own the ONE now in 5wt 9'. I like it much better than the Circa but the price is way to high. Once I matched it with Rio Grand it came to life for me.

In the Sage lineup I prefer my 9'6" 5 wt ZAxis over both as it combines a little of both in one rod.

For me however the Hardy Zenith blows them out of the water in the 5 wt class.

I mainly fish a 6 wt now from the boat and you couldn't pry my Winston b3x from my hands. I absolutely love it. The most versatile rod I have fished.
My first Winston and it won't be my last.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice reviews, and thanks. I've fished with a couple of people with whom you've also fished, and they're very complimentary of your casting abilities.
oh boy.....usually there is story or two there.....I'd say don't believe anything they say, but I do have a few issues and can be less than menatlly stable at times....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good reviews!

I bought and sold the Circa. Just wasn't for me. I wouldn't call it slow but I really wouldn't know what to call it. It's a niche rod. I think if you want to carry a dedicated dry rod for mid to smaller bugs then it may work great. However if you are a person who wants a rod to do most everything well then pass.
This rod is not a split shot girdle bug or steamer rod. It may be able to do it but it isn't going to do it well.

I own the ONE now in 5wt 9'. I like it much better than the Circa but the price is way to high. Once I matched it with Rio Grand it came to life for me.

In the Sage lineup I prefer my 9'6" 5 wt ZAxis over both as it combines a little of both in one rod.

For me however the Hardy Zenith blows them out of the water in the 5 wt class.

I mainly fish a 6 wt now from the boat and you couldn't pry my Winston b3x from my hands. I absolutely love it. The most versatile rod I have fished.
My first Winston and it won't be my last.
Ill try the Rio Grand on it. I've fished the Zaxis a few times and like it but I don't know anything about Winston Rods. I've casted one a couple times but never fished it. As for the Hardy, I've never even cast a Hardy. Always wanted one of their reels matched to a bamboo.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ill try the Rio Grand on it. I've fished the Zaxis a few times and like it but I don't know anything about Winston Rods. I've casted one a couple times but never fished it. As for the Hardy, I've never even cast a Hardy. Always wanted one of their reels matched to a bamboo.

That does sound like a sweet combo. I have never cast bamboo. I don't know if I want to either in fear of going broke.
You are more than welcome to cast my Zenith anytime. I would like your opinion on it and see how it fits your stroke.
It just seems to time well with my stroke.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That does sound like a sweet combo. I have never cast bamboo. I don't know if I want to either in fear of going broke.
You are more than welcome to cast my Zenith anytime. I would like your opinion on it and see how it fits your stroke.
It just seems to time well with my stroke.
Bamboo is cool, but not for me in my every day fishing. I have a 1950 Japanese made 5wt. I love how it feels while fighting a fish, I definitely feel connected. Personally I like older fiberglass rods. They can have a little more snap compared to bamboo and I still feel like I have a better connection/feel while playing a fish as compared to my newer/stiffer rods.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Bamboo is cool, but not for me in my every day fishing. I have a 1950 Japanese made 5wt. I love how it feels while fighting a fish, I definitely feel connected. Personally I like older fiberglass rods. They can have a little more snap compared to bamboo and I still feel like I have a better connection/feel while playing a fish as compared to my newer/stiffer rods.
Hopefully that's not your only experience with bamboo? You can have bamboo feel like anything you want. Even comparable to modern graphite if that's what someone likes. That Japanese rod is very heavy and slow. It doesn't represent what bamboo can really feel like.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hopefully that's not your only experience with bamboo? You can have bamboo feel like anything you want. Even comparable to modern graphite if that's what someone likes. That Japanese rod is very heavy and slow. It doesn't represent what bamboo can really feel like.
I have fished only a hand full of bamboo rods, but I have cast dozens over the years.

Don't you talk about my bamboo like that! it is only moderately heavy and kind of slow!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Maybe if you stopped feeding it those jumbo fries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts