Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does it mean if a rod is 44 million modulas graphite? Is this a good rod?

What does it mean if a rod is a IM 6 graphite? Is this a good rod.

Or does any of those terms mean a darn thing when looking for a decent fly rod?

Also, what is the difference between a med.fast rod; fast rod; or med. rod?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can't help you with the graphite modulus numbers, but the speed of the rod refers to the tip. A fast tip rod will have more stiffness in the tip than a slow tip rod. I like the fast tip rods for fishing nymphs because they take up a lot of line in a hurry. Slower tip rods are more limber and they work well for fishing dry flies.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
44 million graphite module is a type of IM 6 graphite construction. So really they are the same thing. 44 MG is the standard in most graphite rods. Unless you plan on building a rod in the near future then I wouldnt concern yourself to much with that. Let the rod builders worry about that and look more towards feel, action, and how they relate to price.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Those were big terms back in the mid and early 90s that were used alot in advertising...for most of us though it didnt mean much.  graphite is...well, graphite...at least to someone like me that doesnt hand roll rods from graphite blanks.

Take Topsluggers advice....now days all of the top end rod manufacturers (and even most of the lower end ones) use quality materials.  infact, i wouldnt be surprised if alot of the mid to lower end rods are built off the same blanks. Go for what feels good to you and matches the action you are looking for, you will be fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
From my understanding modulas basically means how much the rod can bend before breaking example the shakespere Ugly Stick has a real high modulas thats why the rod tip caan almost touch the butt of the rod. im just learning how to build my own rods. as for med fast,med,fast are how far down the rod starts to bend.basically the action. if Iam wrong which is not very uncommon Please feel free to let me know :)

James

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Here is an article that goes into fast/medium/slow action and the advantages/disadvantages of each. I also agree with Rottal that there is a lot of individual preference in this and you should really spend lots of time trying them out to see what feels best for you.

http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_guide/fly_rods_guide.shtm

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, work to fish.
I wish I would have read that article eariler. If any one is considering buying a new rod, or is a relative new flyfisherman, this is a great article. Easy to understand, and I don't you will get "horn swaggled" buy a salesman.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishbum said:
what does it mean if a rod is 44 million modulas graphite? Is this a good rod?
What does it mean if a rod is a IM 6 graphite? Is this a good rod.
The modulus of the graphite in a rod means its stiffness to weight ratio. A high modulus rod tends to be stiffer and have a crisper action. It is also more brittle. You can go too far with this. The rod makers have started a numbers contest among themselves and they are willing to let you believe that the higher the modulus is, the better the rod performance. This is not necessarily true. When you get up to a modulus of 80,000,000 or so you can shatter the rod by accidentally dropping it on a rock.

The IM numbers are just a shorthand for the modulus.

IM no.Modulus
IM633,000,000
IM742,000,000
IM860,000,000

and so forth. I think the top end G. Loomis and Sage rods have a modulus around 65,000,000 and that is about as high as it is really safe or useful to go. I prefer rods in the IM7 range myself. If you go higher than that, make certain the rod comes with a manufacturer's lifetime warranty, for sure.

As others have said, it's better to handle the rod before you buy, give it a few mock casts (watch out for store clerks and fluorescent lights) and just get the rod that feels best to you personally.

W. E.

I meant to mention: the old fiberglass rods had a modulus of about 6,000,000. Just a little above a piece of linguini. :)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I learn something new here everyday...that definately enlightened me on the subject.

However, i do gotta say now im scared to fish with my GLoomis and Sage rods... ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you haven't broken 'em by now, you must be safe.

Or else you haven't caught very many fish. >:D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Your assumption of me being safe is questionable, but the one of me not catching very many fish lately is pretty accurate. I need to work on that... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts