Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on anyone's opinion on rod vaults/boxes/tubes/whatever. These are specifically designed to go on top of your vehicle's roof cross rack system and hold fully rigged fly rods. If you have experience with one or many, I would like your input.

The two most popular ones I've seen are the Rod Vault (Denver Outfitters) and the Bis Sky Rod Box.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Actually I would highly advise not using your camper shell to store a rod in. I used to do that routinely till one day I put my fly rod too far in and broke the tip off. Probably had carried my fly rod in my camper shell hundreds of times. This time however I was 1000 miles away from where the repair facility was and 45 miles away from the nearest post office or facility where I could ship the broken rod back to the manufacturer (who by the way did replace the entire rod for just the shipping price). Lost several days of fishing time as it was the only rod I brought on my fishing trip that year. Learned two valuable lessons....don't store your fly rod in the camper shell and don't leave home without a backup rod.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have friends that own the Titan rod carrier and are very pleased with it. Another friend stated that the rods do rattle around inside of the tubes and there is no padding or protection. I don't know if this is an issue. There are a lot of them around and I think they are on sale right now. I have only seen one of the Big Sky rod boxes. They look like they are well built and have more rod protection inside. I don't have any personal experience, but most of what I have heard has been positive. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not only do I carry a fly rod in my camper shell, I also have an ultra light spinning rig. Other times I have dogs or shotguns or beer. STAY AWAY FROM MY CAMPER SHELL. Don't make me spank you with my fly rod!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks! That Thule 885 holder looks cool. I didn't find any in my search for sale. The Titan Rod Vault was my first choice, however, I do some Euro nymphing and I have an 11ft rod. I contacted Denver Outfitters who make the Titan Rod Vault to see if the would add an extra foot on one for me and they wanted $600 to do so.....I said no thanks. I found some plans to build my own so that is what I am going to do. I will post pics, maybe even instructions when I'm done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts