Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to ice fishing and want tips on what i need, like what pound test on line, bait etc. also where is a good place thats rookie friendly. Im from Huntington Beach, Ca and been living here for 5 months. Now that i can't surf everyday, all i want to do is fish. I love it here in Colorado so far. People are really friendly and its not as crowded as HB. And props to ColoradoFisherman.com for helping out fellow fisherman.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Any of the front range lakes open to ice fishing are good for trout. Just get some live minnows, split shot and #8 hook and you will catch fish. If you head up into the hills just over kill the clothing you wear and get some good boots. Just ask quastions on the site when the season gets here and where your planning on heading to, allot of the guys on this site will give you tips on what to use etc.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Bare minimum - - -

- hand auger. I recommend a 6 incher, drills fast, and blades last awhile. You can pick them up on here used often, or watch for sales. Maybe $35/$40..

- skimmer. I recommend metal (around $9) because you can set it down in the wind (some wind). Plastic ($3), and lighter

- bucket to carry gear (free or $5)

- jigs I recommend Custum jigs Ratt Finkees ($1.50 appiece) Sportsmans has immitations for 55 cents.

- spoons Sweedish Nipples ($2.50)

- Live bait (wax worms - $3) or other.. (Power Bait Wigglers $3.50 or Gulp waxxies $5.50)

- rods. Don't have to be expensive. I recommend a spring bobber. That'll make even $10 Wal Mart ice combos work (but I'd replace the line or add a foot or two floro leader)

- line 2 or 3 pound ice line

Aside from that, good boots, and warm clothes

Be safe, Colorado ice can be sketch due to fluctuating temps, water levels, and underground springs.

gofindyourowndamfish posted this last year, and every ice angler should check it out..

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=49502.0

Also, Nate from Tightline Outfitters sells a ice fishing Colorado dvd that I've heard is very good.

I've seen great episodes of "Lip Em & Rip Em" and "FishfulThinker" on local ice fishing. As a matter of fact, you should (as a new CO angler) be watching both shows (on the Altitude channel) on a regular basis. Both great shows on Colorado fishing. You'll learn alot!

Good Luck!
James

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! i appreciate the info
James said:
Bare minimum - - -

- hand auger. I recommend a 6 incher, drills fast, and blades last awhile. You can pick them up on here used often, or watch for sales. Maybe $35/$40..

- skimmer. I recommend metal (around $9) because you can set it down in the wind (some wind). Plastic ($3), and lighter

- jigs I recommend Custum jigs Ratt Finkees ($1.50 appiece) Sportsmans has immitations for 55 cents.

- Live bait (wax worms - $3) or other.. (Power Bait Wigglers $3.50 or Gulp waxxies $5.50)

- rods. Don't have to be expensive. I recommend a spring bobber. That'll make even $10 Wal Mart ice combos work (but I'd replace the line or add a foot or two floro leader)

Be safe, Colorado ice can be sketch due to fluctuating temps, water levels, and underground springs.

gofindyourowndamfish posted this last year, and every ice angler should check it out..

Also, Nate from Tightline Outfitters sells a ice fishing Colorado dvd that I've heard is very good.

I've seen great episodes of "Lip Em & Rip Em" and "FishfulThinker" on local ice fishing. As a matter of fact, you should (as a new CO angler) be watching both shows (on the Altitude channel) on a regular basis. Both great shows on Colorado fishing. You'll learn alot!

Good Luck!
James

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Welcome to colorado, The front range lakes have a limited and unpredictable season, so you may want to plan on getting up to the mountain lakes where we have a consistent ice fishing season.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
undergroundfisherman said:
Thanks! i appreciate the info
James said:
Bare minimum - - -

Good Luck!
James
Thanks for the info! scheduled a recording on those shows on DVR today.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks James and UGF for watching! Lip'em is on Sportsman channel now and we do have Season 2 DVD of show for sale! Good luck and hopefully we will see you on the hard water soon! Thanks again! Shannon

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Always be cautious. Buy a set of ice picks. Wear them around your neck and hope to God that you will never have to use them. Also, rent. a vexilar at least once if you arent having a lot of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to Colorado! I am also a long time (28 yrs) OC resident. Been in Co for 6 years and yes, the fishing is great! My wife and I started ice fishing last year to extend the season and would almost rather fish hard water than soft. We found Red Feather lakes, (Dowdy and West) to be great lakes for learning some of the lessons of ice fishing. I think the biggest help to us was aquiring a Flasher. (Fish finder for ice) That and warm clothing. Good luck and welcom to the big CO!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts