Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Dillon a shot, my first plan was to try the Blue river inlet, I could not find access and after getting a better look it looked like open water in spots around the inlet. I headed to the Snake River inlet started fishing around 7:30am due to a hold up on I70 on the way up (Whaaaa #1) I caught over a dozen fish all Rainbows ALL 8" (Whaaa #2) Caught most of the fish on a pink Paddle Bug my first time useing that jig it has some great action and I cant wait to use it on the mile. It was very cold, very windy(Whaaaa #3). I fished in 20FOW in the channel and either I caught the same fish over a dozen times or a big school of the same year fish kept swimming through(Whaaaa #4). Dillon look like a great lake, but I cant recall ever catching big fish there. If someone knows the secret let me in on it. That lake has got to hold some big fish.......just not for me(Whaaa #5). For my final Whaaaa 3hours to get home, parking lot on the hill.........WHAAAAAAAAAAAA! Hope you all had a good weekend....Late

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Chief,
I hear ya' and feel your pain! Whaaa!-wise, ya' the wind and traffic were pretty bad this weekend, something that I aim to avoid in the future (primarily the traffic).
As far as Dillon goes, sorry, can't help you there, it's been a drive by lake for me. Nice to look at but I've never heard anything real positive, as far as the fishing is concerned there. I usually fish Granby, Wolford and am learning Green Mountain, which, aside from the wind, looked very good.
Even though misery may love company, I've whined enough lately, so, I hope that conditions cooperate more so far all. Best of luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never Ice fished Dillon, the only time I had a real good report on Dillion was during the drought. It is a nice lake to look at, and I am sure if you had enough time to figure it out it should fish well. Sounds like I should have just gone to Green MNT. or Wolford. Got to go...you going next weekend?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmm, not sure if I'm gonna' be able to go this weekend. I usually get one to fish and then one to ski (the rest of the family prefers skiing, they love to eat fish, they're just not very gung-ho on going to catch them). After fighting traffic last Saturday, if I am able to go, it'll probably be Friday, if at all, here's to hoping anyways.......

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dillon would be a good place to put lakers! Kokes and mysis for them to gobble.

M

·
0 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
Dillon would be a good place to put lakers! Kokes and mysis for them to gobble.
I heard they put lakers in there a long time ago? Who knows, but it would be a good laker lake.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I had no idea. I know they put char in there in a time long ago and far away. It being west of the continental divide is probably the biggest reason I can come up with for them not stocking lakers. I can't think of any other? Does anybody older than mustang or I that might remember some of dillion's history care to tell everyone about it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I went out Sunday two other groups had been out as well. They left at 10am.......Which is what I sould have done. One group only small Bow's the other had a case of the black and white no Koke's from anyone. The laker question comes to mind, that would be the perfect lake. The trout that I caught would have made a good lunch for a hungry laker. That lake looks so good, but in my experiances open water fishing, very disappointing. I usually just flyfish the Blue when I go. Even though the outlet is crowded, I dont think I have ever go w/o catching something. Late........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts