Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey boaters -
i have only boated on a few small lakes here in colorado of the past year (north sterling, boyd, lonetree).

i am an expereinced boater of nearly three decades. lake erie being the largest body i regularly boated/fished on.

my question is how rough can the colorado lakes get - considering wind and blow ins out of no where. we talking 2-3 footers, or more? what lakes get the worst. i imagine 11 mile, pueblo, granby etc.

how would a 16' aluminum deep-v with a 25 hp do most of the times?

·
Banned
487 Posts
The larger reservoirs like blue mesa, ruedi, taylor, granby, ect are the worst. But big plains reservoirs can be bad too. I have seen 5 - 6 foot swells on blue mesa.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Just keep an eye on things, I was on Bonny years ago, 18' Nitro, and it was flat scary, storm rolled in so quick we were gunning for the ramp as soon as we saw it, anyway there were 6-10 foot rollers, tossed the boat like a paper boat at chatfield on a weekend day in July, if u get my drift, thought we were going down for sure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've only seen a couple of storms in a decade that haven't been boatable. A boat that size can take anything except the rare and out of the ordinary 50 to 80 mph wind storm but there pretty rare.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Maybe one of the big differences in Colorado lakes versus Erie is that you can't always tell when the storms are brewing due to the mountains obscuring your view. On the other hand, you may be closer to shore than you would be on Erie ;) I've had a few nasty trips on Granby and Elevenmile with a smaller boat (about the size of your 16 footer) and it was not a fun ride. But the worst in recent memory was Flaming Gorge -- sitting in a canyon with no idea what direction a storm may come from and they can get pretty scary...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I haven't seen rollers in Colorado. We don't have the fetch to form rollers. We have chop even in big wind. Chop as far as boat handling goes, is worse than rollers. The biggest waves I have ever seen in Colorado, Wyoming, or Utah were probably four foot (big wind-big boat) - maybe five near Wahweep on Powell. Two or three foot chop in a smaller boat seems big, the waves are much higher than the gunnels and come over the bow. Common sense is the key, seek shelter when a storm blows in. They ussually give you warning that they are coming.

Terre

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hear you all.

my biggest unknown is on a lake where you launch at one point and have to run a bit to get to good fishing areas. then you get the chop/whitecaps and have a heck of a tough run to the take out. plus the wind if its coming at the ramp/docks is a usually a brutal deal.

i have a 19' princecraft w/ a 150 honda outboard. i have had a 14' boat w/ 9.9 and a 15hp, several 16' w/ 20 - 30 hp and the 19' - so i have a lot of time on the water, have a power squadron boating certification - and more than anything i listen to the noaa weather radio days before a bigger lake trip, during to see what the weather is doing. i also don't take risks on the water. but have had a few occasions where all of that still found me in dicey conditions.

i am thinking about like glendo, launching in an area where i'd likely be able to fish for the day and not eventhinking about running miles away. if i did and the waves got up, it makes for a slow white knuckle ride. i hate that.

·
Registered
440 Posts
TomCat,

a 16' V-Hull with 25 hp motor should handle anything in Colorado.

However, there can be rough waters that you need to know about.

Spinney/Elevenmile e.g., can get up to 3' waves on a rare really rough day.

Also, if you ever go to WILLIAMS FORK, it is a HIGH WIND WARNING area. I'd tell you about the nightmare day I was up there in the aluminum V-hull with a MinnKota facing winds of over 65 mph, but it would bore you. :D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
How rough can water get? well its not like the north atlantic, but bad enough at times. your consideration of a deep v style hull is a good idea. conditions like this are common throughout the year...infact i just took these pics yesterday at Union:

the pic at the bottom is of a muskrat, bodysurfing it looks like....

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Those are "fun" waves at Union. The ones at Bonny, were early 90's and made for a white knucle ride, never say never, in colorado, wish I had some pics to prove the skeptics, but that was about the least of our worries at that point and time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The biggest problem you will in Colorado is the Micro Burst I've riden a couple of them out. Lots of chop from every direction plan on getting wet. I try to get off the water earlier now when I see the clouds rolling in I sold my jon boat and fish out a 13 whaler now so at least they will find the boat. Most of the water out here won't be a problem for you, but you will some some wierd weather once a while.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If only we had a break I could go surfing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah it's those micro bursts that get my blood pumping. Best thing to do is to try and not get caught in it, and if you do, try to get behind cover. Got caught out on Granby one year in May and we were scrambling to get the life jackets on while motoring into the wind, until we found cover on the downwind side of an island. It was a crazy day. Woke up that morning to find about four inches of snow on the ground, out onto the water we went and into fog, then the sun came out, and during early afternoon a storm quickly move in with wind bursts of rain and hail (dumped about 1/2 inch of hail in the 16 1/2 crestliner) . It was an episode out of the Twilight Zone.. uncanny.

Phew, oh yeah, you can be sure I keep an eye on the horizon.

Pete

·
Registered
603 Posts
With a deep V and 25 you should be able to handle most situations easily. I've been forced to shore at both Union and Lonetree while in a jonboat and a small electric trolling motor. The last time I had my wife with me( Lonetree) I saw the storm heading in, and headed for the west shore ( lee side) The storm came in very fast and we were 100 yards from the west shore when it became too much for the motor. We had to head with the wind, all the way across the lake. The waves were big enough that we took water over the front and over the back at times. We beached the boat after one wild ride, and joined up with several other boats that had to do as we did, ( alum v's, some with gas motors around 10 hp) and waited it out. It never stopped so wife and I walked out to the truck in the dark. It was the worst situation I had been in , in 40 years of fishing. ( I think because my wife was with me and I knew she was scared which made me feel bad. )
The good news,, wife said,, "if you want to fish with me, we need a bigger boat" I now have a 17 foot tracker with a 60 hp.

Anyway, thats a long winded way of saying, you really have to watch the weather in Colorado and be ready to have your trip interupted at times. No fish is worth you or a loved ones life
Brett

1 - 18 of 18 Posts