Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished ruedi yesterday from 7AM to 4:45 PM. It was post front kind of, and that is the worst condition for lakers possible. I caught 8 lakers from 15-18". They were usually in 36-44 FOW, so a little shallower than usual. I also caught a 14" cutthroat trout. Lost a decent laker, probably 22" or so. I lost about 15 lakers after hooking them (I was using a huge lure for there, a 4" tube). so if I was using a proper lure for there, a 2.5" white tube, I probably would've caught at least 20. I don't care though, the small ones just had problems getting it in their mouths and I don't want the small ones anyway. Just going for the big ones, which didn't show up. The best thing to do was to get them off of the bottom with your vexilar. Make them chase the tube 3-4 feet off and they will just stare at it and never hit. Then, drop it back to the bottom when they are still looking at it, and they would turn around, go down, and hit it pretty much every time. My brother caught 8 macks 14-18" and my dad caught 4 macks 15-18". My bro also caught a 8" rainbow and my dad caught 15 rainbows 10-14" and also a 12" kokanee. Ice was 5" thick pretty much all over at freeman and it was solid. We kept 12 macks (4 a piece, the limit). Trout were biting well in 10-15 fow, according to my dad, and that is also where he got the koke. Tipped all lures with anchovie and salmon egg smelly jelly.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm glad to hear ruedi is ice fishable. I love fishing the pan and have been itching to try ruedi. Can you walk to the good spots on ruedi? Again congrats on a good day on the ice.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah you can walk to them. There is only one parking area to my knowledge though, freeman mesa. It is a pretty tough walk for most people; deep snow and a long walk. Down isn't too bad but most people have a bad time getting back up. The good thing is right off of there is a good spot for lakers. 30-70 fow and you'll be in good shape. Right there is where I hooked a big one last year, and where someone else caught an 11 pounder. We started there in the morning and each caught 2 in an hour. I lost about 8 others...lol my lure was HUGE for those little guys who were short striking. Also, all of the points in that area are good for lakers. Another good spot is the waterfall spot (can't miss it) which is across the lake. It is a hit or miss spot though; they either are there in full force or not at all. Right off of the first point at freeman is consistent; they always are there. Let me know when you're going.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
TFB- I'm for sure going out there and will let you know when. I'd love to pick your brain for pike info. They are my unicorn. Is there a better than average time to hit ruedi ice fishing?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just gets better and better as the ice season progresses, up until the ice is unsafe in late march. The best time of the day is definitely the very early morning. However, they will bite all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts