Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've talked about the new res they might build in Parker and at first Is was excited...Till I read this:

Will Rueter-Hess offer recreation?

Many residents are interested in recreation. Rueter-Hess will likely have some recreation, such as fishing, hiking trails and non-motorized boating.

Not that you always have to fish from a boat but I think I speak for alot of us when I say "I didnt spend 1000's of $ on a boat to fish from shore".

Info came from: http://www.pwsd.org/rueter-hess/nl1/jaeger-qa.htm

More info on this: http://tinyurl.com/q5tak

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The
proposed reservoir would be located in Douglas County, Colorado
approximately 12 miles southeast of Denver and 3 miles southwest of the
town of Parker. The reservoir would be located on Newlin Gulch with a
diversion structure along Cherry Creek. The project would include a
16,200 acre-foot (AF) reservoir inundating 470 acres, a 5,300-foot long
and 135-foot high dam, two pipelines, a water treatment plant and
booster pump station, a diversion structure along Cherry Creek with a
pump station, and 16 Denver Basin extraction wellfields.
[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It would be sweet to have a reservoir in Parker. I would be all for an increase in my taxes to pay for the reservoir. Does anyone know if the plans are definite and if so, what is the expected time frame of completion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Construction started several months ago, you can see it from 1-25 exit 188 east. I think the only thing still in flux is wether they will be able to expand it's capacity. I have not been able to find an updated timeline but between construction, filling and a couple years for small stockers to grow to catchable size, I am guessing it will be at least five years and maybe up towards 10.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The project has been going a lot longer than a few months, I'm not up to speed on it but I think it will be ready for the water soon. I wonder, how does it makes sense to take water from wells and let it evaporate on the surface? Maybe someone can enlighten me on why this is a wise thing to do. 

There doesn't seem to be excess water flow in Cherry Creek, another source. CC barely flows at all above ground at times. I've heard they are going pipe water into it from Sterling, if that's true, is that genuinely excess water? It all confusing to me.     

On a lighter note, maybe some of our favorite rangers from Qunicy and Aurora could find new work :)  

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
JIP, i think you can still use the boat, but you gotta bust out the oars. There are sooooooooooo many benifits to having a non motorized body of water. First and formost if they can keep water in there it will be in much better shape without all the jackass waterskiers and jetboaters ie oil, chemicals, defowling products. The fish will be very spooky, but very hungry for my plastic baits. Fishing out of a Kayak is a blast if you've never done it, getting towed around by a big ole' fish sounds fun to me. It will be a very peaceful spot simply due to the fact that there are no motor boats filled with idiots who like to show off and drink on the water. I'm not a nazi, i like to have just as much fun as the next guy, but if you want a small example of what a fishery can do with no motor's, take a look and do a search for Boundary Waters.
http://www.paddling.net/bwca/fishing.html
I rest my case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts