Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody help me real quick? What do you need on your boat to be legal at Aurora? Its been a while since I was out there, and I don,t know if they have changed. Do I still need paddles and a whistle?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You have to have a paddle/oar and a life vest. The boat has to be registered as well. I am not sure about a whistle, the rangers never asked to see if I had one but it would not hurt to have one.

I have been dumped in the middle of Chatfield before during early May. Had there may not have been people around, I may have been in trouble. I did not have a whistle, but I carry one now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Michael-What happened at Chatfield to dump you in the middle? I'm interested since I just bought a small alum. fishing boat and plan on going there soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
U best follow basic coast guard regulations...life jackets for each person on board, one personal flotation device (boat seat), one sounding device, (horn, whistle), and at least one oar. Obviously current CL registration and trailer registraion. Oh yeah, don't forget the "cork"..TrophyTime

·
Registered
11 Posts
Roth2000 wrote
Yes Aurora is electric only and if you have a gas powered motor it must be raised out of the water.
The last time I was there I took my 18' I/O, raised the stern drive and even left the trailering bracket in place and put the prop in my truck. They told me if I wanted to use it in the lake I had to remove the gas tanks. They are bolted in under the deck so removal is not an option. It seems they manipulate the rules depending on what phase the moon is in, needless to say I have not been back there in 4 years and refuse to return. I did everything I could to "disable" the stern drive, I have a bow mount trolling motor and the boat was licensed. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I emailed them last year to ask about the regulations, they told me i needed to remove the tank if possible but I did not need to tilt it out of the water, it does seem like it depends on who you talk to.

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
What Dan posted is what I was initially told, before I hauled 2500#'s of boat out there. They said to please remove the tanks if possible, I explained they were below deck and access could only be gained by tearing the whole boat apart and I offered to pull the prop and keep the stern drive locked upright if that would work for them. The ranger said that was fine and there should be no problems. Right. Different ranger decided differently when the time came. Now don't get me wrong I was trying to be as nice and accomidating as possible and if they would have said I could not use it with the tanks in I would have just taken the U Boat with me, no harm no foul. But due to their willingness to just change things as it suits them created my refusal to go out there.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
upnorth said:
Michael-What happened at Chatfield to dump you in the middle? I'm interested since I just bought a small alum. fishing boat and plan on going there soon.
Thanks
I was in a canoe like boat and as I went to cast a wake from a large speed boat nailed me and tossed me over. The water was so cold, I could not even figure out how to until the rope that I tied to my life vest. Fortunately, there was a person in a pontoon boat that pulled me out of the water. It just happened to be the day I decided to bring all my fishing gear since I did not know what I was going to catch. Somewhere out in the middle of the lake there is $500+ of fishing gear.

If you are at Aurora, just be careful with the wind. There have been times when there have been 3 ft. white caps in the middle of the lake.

Michael

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good thing the folks in the pontoon were there. That sucks about your gear. I just don't understand why speed boats and skiiers can't stay a safe distance from fisherman, especially ones in canoes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good evening, the rules at Aurora Reservoir for motors are; Gasoline motors prohibited. All portable gas tanks must be removed prior to launching. Electric motors only.

The regs used to state that gas motors be in the raised position, but because of some of the new electric motor systems that attach the electric motor to the gas motor for steering purposes that portion of the reg was abolished.

State boating regs say there must be PFD's of proper size and in good condition for everyone on board. A sound device is required. A coach's whistle is fine. If the water is cold one will probably have a hard enough time breathing let alone attempting to yell or whistle.

That was an abbreviated version, please check state boating reg booket for regs covering your classification of boat, as larger boats, (16ft plus) require throw cushions etc.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Thanks Ranger Rick!

Its always good to get input from someone in the know!

How about some fish reports.......Say daily at 7a, 8a, 9a..........Actually if you have the time and would not mind we would love to hear from you whats hot and whats not! :)

Thanks again,

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts