Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love the fishing at spinney. At work, some friends and I were talking about about the rules, and the 1 trout limit 20"+, and no limit on pike.

He suggested allowing the normal 4 trout limit if you keep 1 pike. Would this hurt the trout population? Would it help eliminate the excess pike?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Spinney is managed as a trophy fishery so going to 4 trout may impact the fishery negatively I would suspect. If you only keep 1 pike instead of unlimited- this seems to me to be less effective at eliminating pike as you could only keep one. I doubt either of these suggestions would fly with the DOW either. We can always give our input though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we werent talking about having a 1 pike limit. We like the unlimited pike, we just figured more people would want to trout fish spinney if they could keep 4 trout plus AT LEAST 1 pike.

How many trout are saved when 1 pike is caught? surely more than 4.

F

·
0 Posts
It seems that here lately most of the pike that are pulled out of spinney are skinney little hammer handles that don't have a shot and eatting a 20 inch anything, but I know there are still some big boys in there.

Basically big trout aren't for the fryingpan so why keep them? If your fishing for food there are tons of lakes and rivers you can catch 4 eatting sized fish with no problem.

pike make great table fare so if you are fishing Spinney are looking for some fish to fry pike are a better option anyways.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I spend several days a year on Spinney, and have for about 18 years. I've seen its ups and downs. I think increasing the limit to 4 would be a mistake. It's been a tough last 4 years rebuilding the trout after the pike
explosion of the 90s. Just be patient, Antero will be back strong in a couple years, and the limit was four there.
Eleven mile is another option for those who want to put large pink-meated trout on the table. Can't wait till ice-out!  

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What FG said is true... most the pike caught out of spinney are starved so they are very skinny.
The regulations for Spinney work for Spinney, the trout fishing there is very good and you do occassionally hook into some big pike as well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry to burst some bubbles , but 20+ inchers  (trout) are the best eating --easy to filet and nice and orange. I don't mind the 1 fish limit, but large trout are the best eaters(IMO). Throw the small ones back and let them grow up.

Peace,
FH

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Fowl_hooked said:
Sorry to burst some bubbles , but 20+ inchers (trout) are the best eating --easy to filet and nice and orange. I don't mind the 1 fish limit, but large trout are the best eaters(IMO). Throw the small ones back and let them grow up.

Peace,
FH
Thats cause the only small ones you've caught are mushy stockers, fish some wild trout waters and you may change your mind.

·
Registered
838 Posts
ePiC said:
Fowl_hooked said:
Sorry to burst some bubbles , but 20+ inchers  (trout) are the best eating --easy to filet and nice and orange. I don't mind the 1 fish limit, but large trout are the best eaters(IMO). Throw the small ones back and let them grow up.

Peace,
FH
Thats cause the only small ones you've caught are mushy stockers, fish some wild trout waters and you may change your mind.
LOL -- Hardly.
I have caught plenty of wild trout. I'm talking size here. Filleting a small trout it about as much fun a filleting a sardine. The big boys are where the nice fillets and steaks come from. You can release the big ones  -- that leaves more for me.

Peace,
FH

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I wish they would raise the size limit to 24". I go to Spinney to catch big trout, the more the better!!! I would even support 100% release! People can goto Antero or 11-Mile if they want to eat trout!

I always keep a couple of small pike when i can though! It is in the best interest of the lake and I like to eat pike.

F

·
0 Posts
Trophy fish of all species should be released!!! I'm not saying a 20 inch rainbow is a monster, but its well on its way to being one. Orange meat isn't only on bigger rainbows I've caught plenty of smaller fish with orange or pink meat. I'll agree that grey meated stocker trout aren't to tasty, but like epic said a pink meated wild trout tastes great. Brookies taste great and most of the ones I keep are smaller than 12. I would take a brookie in the morning over any other trout!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I disagree. Fish are a renewable resource and should be managed as such. Not just for the C&R guys and not just for the non C&R guys. A healthy ecosystem is balanced (either artificially or naturally) and that allows large trophy class fish to be harvested, or preyed upon, and thus replaced by other soon to be trophy class fish. The notion that all large fish should always be released is not of sound logic.
Harvesting large fish is of the same logic that large herd bulls,boars,bucks, drakes, roosters, etc.. can be harvested without causing harm to the species or ecosystem as a whole. Its about balance not about "Never".

Peace,
FH

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Fowl_hooked said:
I disagree. Fish are a renewable resource and should be managed as such. Not just for the C&R guys and not just for the non C&R guys. A healthy ecosystem is balanced (either artificially or naturally) and that allows large trophy class fish to be harvested, or preyed upon, and thus replaced by other soon to be trophy class fish. The notion that all large fish should always be released is not of sound logic.
Harvesting large fish is of the same logic that large herd bulls,boars,bucks, drakes, roosters, etc.. can be harvested without causing harm to the species or ecosystem as a whole. Its about balance not about "Never".

Peace,
FH
I agree with this to a point, large herd bulls (ect) are nearing the end of their life. Some large fish arent but some are depends on species, location, and size. Colorado's weather makes alot of fish species growing seasons alot shorter, so a large bass in Colorado is much older then one in Texas or southern California. However trout when not in waters with high heavy metal counts (like the Ark) have a healthy average growing season so a large trout caught here may be no where near the end of its life cycle (like that bass or bull). Thats relative statement too, cause if you caught him he is very near the end of his life cycle. :p

L

·
0 Posts
Not every fisherman fishes for the same reason and not every lake has the same biological needs and environment. Wildlife management is a science, not an opinion. Don't forget about diseases such as WD which attacks smaller rainbows, leaving the bigger ones or the fact that small trout are just food for pike! If you were to clean out all the big trout at Spinney, you would have no trout because the pike would eat all the small ones, not letting them grow big, then you would have no pike unless the DOW fed them fingerlings (big $$$ fish food). I don't always agree with the DOW's management plans but I think the reg's at Spinney are just right.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
laker taker said:
Not every fisherman fishes for the same reason and not every lake has the same biological needs and environment. Wildlife management is a science, not an opinion. Don't forget about diseases such as WD which attacks smaller rainbows, leaving the bigger ones or the fact that small trout are just food for pike! If you were to clean out all the big trout at Spinney, you would have no trout because the pike would eat all the small ones, not letting them grow big, then you would have no pike unless the DOW fed them fingerlings (big $$$ fish food). I don't always agree with the DOW's management plans but I think the reg's at Spinney are just right.
I personally think there should be a slot limit for the pike, keep all the skinny ones you want but 1 or none over 36 inches (or something). The little ones are just starving anyway. You forget thou those big rainbows eat them little rainbows too, almost all of my large trout have been on large rainbow rapalas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
scody357 said:
He suggested allowing the normal 4 trout limit if you keep 1 pike. Would this hurt the trout population? Would it help eliminate the excess pike?

any thoughts?
Eliminate excess pike? please elaborate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i heard there were too many pike at spinney that were hurting the trout population. Many agree that the pike there are pretty small. Is that because there are too many pike at spinney? since they changed the rules to unlimited pike no size limit, i suspect its because there are too many of them. I've talked to a few people here in colo springs that say they don't fish spinney because of the 1 fish limit.

Yeah 11mile is right down the road, but IMO spinney is a lot easier to fish. I guess if your not a catch n release type, spinney's not your place as far as trout fishing is concerned.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
scody357 said:
i heard there were too many pike at spinney that were hurting the trout population. Many agree that the pike there are pretty small. Is that because there are too many pike at spinney? since they changed the rules to unlimited pike no size limit, i suspect its because there are too many of them. I've talked to a few people here in colo springs that say they don't fish spinney because of the 1 fish limit.

Yeah 11mile is right down the road, but IMO spinney is a lot easier to fish. I guess if your not a catch n release type, spinney's not your place as far as trout fishing is concerned.
No its not because there are too many pike in the lake, that is a relative term as well. Pike fisherman there is a shortage of pike there, the DOW there is to much pike there. However, the pike were eating so many trout that they had to stop stocking trout under a certain size. That is why there are alot of skinny pike there, lack of their main food source which was taken away. So only the large trophy size pike still eat the trout there which isnt many.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Five years ago the Dow estimated there were 10,000 Pike in that 2500 acre lake? They had eaten every sucker, small trout and most of the crawfish and were starving to death, (I was there every other weekend)! I would catch a half dozen small (18-26) emaciated Pike every trip. You couldn't even get a fillet out of them they were so gone :mad: Plus the trout fishing sucked!!!

Now they stock 15" trout in the fall to help them survive and the fishing for big trout is on the rebound! From what I saw last year the pike are starving again at Spinney! And the Pike at Spinney and 11-Mile got off a good spawn? There are still lots of big Pike in Spinney though and maybe they will eat the smaller snakes?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I wish they would raise the size limit to 24". I go to Spinney to catch big trout, the more the better!!! I would even support 100% release! People can goto Antero or 11-Mile if they want to eat trout!

I always keep a couple of small pike when i can though! It is in the best interest of the lake and I like to eat pike.
I'm fine with a larger size limit (i.e. length), but C&R -- I don't think so. Spinney trout taste good too. But it starts to feel artificial when they keep putting large trout in to begin with. I caught a 21 inch stocker in eleven mile last year just  down from the inlet. Kind of takes away from the challenge when you figure it probably came down from the dream stream and a lot of the monster trout are just hatchery fish -- I'll have to try a fish pellet fly next time. .

keeping several pike out of this stretch of the platte is probably a healthy choice for the fishery and would allow for more fingerlings to survive and lose that hatchery mentality of eating anything. Either way it will all work out in the long run. Trial and error will suceed eventually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts