Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was leaving Antero at 11:30 AM today what to my blood shot eyes should appear...( I was there an hour before light...the roads were in good shape) but a shelter blowing across the ice. Looked like the guy forgot -or- didn't anchor it down and it was heading for the dam.....a long way away. It was a sled mounted Frabil two man (I think) and it was doing about 10 MPH. Luckily the guy chasing it was smart enough not to follow it as I think the ice was in poor shape where it was heading. Reminded me of a time at Eleven mile a few years ago when my tackle bucket and some tackle decided it liked Kansas better...it was doing about 25 MPH the last time I saw it. The fishing was good this morning..caught six , kept two..all about 17-18".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Last year at the Antero tournament the wind just about took my shelter away, rookie mistake not anchoring all 4 sides down.
How was the ice today? Planning on a Saturday trip but not overly eager to be out on skinny ice.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I fished the south shore on Friday with Fly Chucker and it was 7+ inches, the north shore yesterday and it was about 8 inches. Not 'skinny' ice by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
After seeing the poor guy in the nearly flying Viking shelter as it careened into the South Boat Ramp last December, oh, I can't say enough about how important ice anchors are! We had both of them screwed into the ice (very, very hard ice, mind you) at Antero this afternoon, and there was enough wind to have the BP2 sliding around despite that, and the presence of my 170+ pounds inside the thing!

Saw somebody's bucket flying across the ice too. By about 4pm, there were a few very intrepid guys out there still, with about steady 30mph wind... still fishing. And catching fish! Ice was easily 8"+ all the way out past the third pressure ridge - with 2" of solid clear ice on the bottom.

Found ice like this though - looked really cool!

T'was a good day to explain why it's best to screw the hut down. The 'dust devil' behind us was quite huge and coulda sent me spinning if not for the ice anchors - definitely rattled my chain, for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts