Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the run off over yet?
I want to fish south park and north park, but not if the streams are too high.
I am reading the stream flow charts and it looks like the streams/rivers are declining.

What do you think?
FB

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I was fishing Valco Ponds today and the Arkansas below Pueblo was very high and very muddy, I cant give a report any higher then that though.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
If the water has cleared up but is still high (im sure it is) its a good time to throw streamers in North Park...alot of fish will be out of thier ususal holding areas (in North Park rivers there are alot of under cuts the fish hide out in the entire year, but will be out when the water is high)

This is my favorite time to fish the rivers there...in a month or two the water will be warmer and lower and the fishing tends to slow down. plus, if its too high you can always hit the lakes....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rottal's right....Big fish are available DURING runoff because they are forced out of their comfort zones by high flows.  You can also get away with using gaudy offerings that would scare fish away any other time of year.  I put most of my river fishing efforts forth during runoff, the higher and muddier, the better!

Here's a couple of fish from the Poudre this spring, plenty of 16-18", a few up to 24". It's tough to get through all the 8-12" "shakers" to get to the big fish - but they're there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts