Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the inlet today from about 2-6pm.... lot of fly guys out, my fly rod wasnt ready so I just took a spin rod. One guy said he caught about 4 & lost some big ones, i guess he released them. said he was using egg patterns

river depth above bridge seems a little low & guys were constantly fishing around the bridge, i decided to go toward chatfield where there was some nice stretches of deep water on river. water was fairly clear too, that stretch has been muddy every time i've been there, with huge carp jumping around ... I did see some trout hitting surface

Then trouble began, the bail on my reel came loose & kept coming apart. A sticker bush was getting the better part of me too.  so about 4pm i decided to leave with no catches. I was playing around casting as I walked along river & wouldnt ya know .. the roostertail saved me from skunkdom again ... i love that lure ... hooked a fat bow,  about 16.5" and a fighter, but considering my bail was all wacked, i pretty much reeled her in by hand ... glad i set the hook extra hard, fish took about 20 ft of line when reel came apart

oh yea, was beautiful there today, zero wind, nice sunshine, about 50-60 degrees.
This fish will make a nice addition to the fat 18 incher in my freezer. I still have 2 lakers from Grn Mtn too, cant wait to eat those .. fish fry tonight!!.................................................enjoy the pics!!! 

·
Registered
838 Posts
Re: S Platte at Chatfield 03/09/06

Nice fish. That exact color rooster tail has got to be my all time best fish catching spinner. Don't know why but trout love that shade of green.getting harder to find that one too -- the one I have has most of the paint chipped off

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I hear ya there, seems like a nice sized lure for close contact fishing. I could only get it out about 15-20 feet with my reel problem today. And Ive caught bass with it too

i let it goto bottom about 2/3 the way across to other bank, then reeled it real fast to get spoon going and fish took it immediatly

I tried a couple kastmasters, but i think theyre too big, I could throw em pretty far up river. I may have had a strike on those, was hard to tell. caught alot of sunken branches

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

By the way ... the green glob of powerbait in photo wasnt mine. was all over the ground in that spot. I used clean lures today

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

NICE!!!

Hey dogkatcher,
Your camera takes some very nice pictures. What's the make and model of your camera?

1eyeReD

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1eyeReD said:
Hey dogkatcher,
Your camera takes some very nice pictures. What's the make and model of your camera?
HP 735 w/ optical zoom ... bought it off ebay (new open box) for about $100 shipped, then a 512mb SD card was about $50 more ... cam has video too, is why i bought the huge memory. I usually leave resolution at medium setting 2048x1536 .. can take 500 photos on that setting .. up to 3339 pics on lowest res ... the video is great to have, you can get cool still frames from video using Quicktime

I

·
0 Posts
Dogkatcher, I was also there today and like you said very nice day, did you go past the bridge up river at all, I talked to a few people maybe you were one of them? Anyway good day to be out fishin!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Irishman said:
Dogkatcher, I was also there today and like you said very nice day, did you go past the bridge up river at all, I talked to a few people maybe you were one of them? Anyway good day to be out fishin!
Nice!! i hiked around upstream a bit, but it was a little shallow for what i wanted, if i had a fly rod & waders (or my bike) i would have been all over it up there. I wanted to fish closer to lake & check out lake levels too. The southwest end of lake by inlet has filled up since last time i was there .... looks like it could be great terrain for bass fishin

I think i only talked to two guys, a flyguy & guy with fire department shirt

You get any keepers??

I

·
0 Posts
Ya that last one was about 18, bad pic I know but I was in a hurry to get him back.. I kinda wish I had my long rod with also, they were comin up all day up river!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Irishman said:
Ya that last one was about 18, bad pic I know but I was in a hurry to get him back..
great pic actually & great fish considering how pressured that area is ... i just wondered if you kept any? I see alot of catch & release on that river, Waterton I always let them go now, photo is the prize. But i was close to the lake & know that fish is gonna taste great

I

·
0 Posts
dogkatcher said:
Irishman said:
Ya that last one was about 18, bad pic I know but I was in a hurry to get him back..
great pic actually & great fish considering how pressured that area is ... i just wondered if you kept any? I see alot of catch & release on that river, Waterton I always let them go now, photo is the prize. But i was close to the lake & know that fish is gonna taste great
Ya Im primarily Catch and release, but especially in waterton, but Every now and then aint nothin wrong with keepin a few to feed the family.. Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Has anybody been up to the dam in waterton canyon? Is it stacked up like the Bridge is? :eek:

B

·
0 Posts
The dam that is app. 4 miles up Waterton Canyon on the trail that runs along the river.

M

·
0 Posts
no martson diversion is right at 4 miles up, but yiou cant fish withing...i wanna say 350 ft? or is it 100 ft and 350 above it? i dunno, but u cant get really close...you cant get near strontia spgs dam, and below martson is really shallow and tough fishing....i dunno

B

·
0 Posts
Fished Chatfield this Morning by the bridge, froze my ass off!!!! Spotted a couple of fish. I swear you can't go anywhere anymore without running into someone that is on this Forum. Ran into Pikester and Matt350 I think. Don't know if anybody was doin any catching. I know everyone was freezing! Lots of ice on the river, played havoc with the fly rod. Got out the spinner but didn't do any good with it either. This cold snap may have slowed things down. Later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts