Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I had a little time this afternoon, so I decided to get a lure wet for the first time this year.  Started out at the S. Platte Ponds.  Throwing a 2-3/4" floating Rapala, I caught a couple largemouth around 13"-14".  I was playing one of them gently on my ultralight outfit and 4-lb test line when I noticed two bass following my hooked fish.  One was about the same size and one was a good bit bigger.  It was a good bass!  I tried everything, but couldn't get the hog to strike. 

I moved over to the S. Platte and fished upstream, looking for good holding water.  I caught a 10" smallmouth and kept moving upstream.  I don't want to spell everything out, but I got to an area that could hold a good fish (I was thinking bass or Walleye).  I was retrieving the Rapala and just as it came into sight underwater, maybe ten feet out, a big trout came out of nowhere and slammed it.  Luckily the drag was loose, because she felt the barbs and took off.  I was just hanging on for a while, with the drag whining.  She jumped a ways out and I thought it was a big Brown.  Then she worked downstream and with the fish, the current, and my little UL spinning rod and 4-lb line, I was thinking I'd never see that fish again.  Well, with a little maneuvering and a little luck, I landed her by hand (no net).  19" of Cutthroat Trout!  (Cuttbow maybe?) What a surprise! 

I wanted to get her back in the water ASAP, but both trebles were buried, one in her mouth and the other in her gills.  It took a minute or two of surgical work with my longnose pliers to get her unhooked.  I worked with her to try to get her going, but she wouldn't revive.  So, the wife and I had her for dinner.  Tasty!  She had a crayfish (or two?) in her gut, but I'm thinking the DOW folks dropped her in the river recently.  Maybe a holdover.  Hard to figure.  I've caught bigger trout, but she's my biggest Cut so far.   

All in all it was an interesting couple of hours! 

D-Moe   

-- I have a photo, but I can't figure out how to post it ....  Sorry. 

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Re: South Platte below Chatfield

D-Moe said:

-- I have a photo, but I can't figure out how to post it ....  Sorry. 

Sounds like a fun day. If you want to email me the picture, [email protected] I will post it for you.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
blackcanyon said:
Not to piss on your parade but d-bard your hooks.
or don't - and enjoy your meal.  Accidents happen, sounds like a great time. I hope to see more of that action, regardless of the "parade pissers".  If your hooks would have been de-barbed you probably would have never seen that fish with it flipping out of the water like that.  Fish on.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey blackcanyon:

I release almost all the fish I catch, especially the large ones. I flyfish quite a bit and always pinch down the barbs. I had no idea I was going to catch that trout in there -- it was a huge surprise.

Even with pinched down barbs, a treble hook in the gills can kill. Please keep your piss to yourself! >:D

Peace,
D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jippin up my shorts as we speaK! Sorry didn't mean to come off that way. Sounds like you were going to return it, thats why I was wondering why you didn't d-bard.

Peace

Clarke

·
Registered
127 Posts
In Saskatchewan they require that all fishing be done w/barbless hooks. After fishing there, I've started pinching down the barbs on all my flys and lures, though sometimes I forget to do it on new ones. It's been my experience that I don't lose anymore fish w/barbless than w/barbs- but you must keep a tight line or they're gone in an instant. It's so much easier to release fish.

C

·
0 Posts
Where these south platte park ponds or were they the ones in Chatfield state park below the dam?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uhh?? Dunno. The ponds are north of C-470. I've always called them the S. Platte Ponds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
COfisher said:
Where these south platte park ponds or were they the ones in Chatfield state park below the dam?
I was wondering the same thing. I just moved here this month from Alaska, and today I took a drive out to Chatfield just to look around. If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll go back out and try fishing from the dam for some of those smallies. But while I was looking around I realized that there are ponds at both ends of the lake, some below the dam & others on the opposite end. Since I'm boatless I'll probably end up fishing those if I don't have any luck from the dam.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Generally speaking, the ponds north of 470 are the south platte ponds, the ones south of 470 along the river are the dog ponds, south of the reservoir are the Chatfield ponds and the far south ones don't seem to have a commonly used name on the forum. Maybe we should call them the Chatfield/Waterton Access ponds?

Additionally the outlet is often referred to as the spill way on the forum though technically the spill way has that big square pond at the bottom of it, rumor has it there are fish in it. Fishing the outlet can be good when the water is flowing.......

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts