Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hit the S. Platte river below Chatfield with much success??? I have mastered most sections of the South Platte in my day, but have never really tried this section. I was thinking of giving it a go in the next week or so. A scouting mission if you would say. I am mainly a trout guy, so mainly looking for that species. I know a lot of eyes and smallies get washed down that river and have seen people stacked on each other at the spillway filling their coolers with these types, but know there are some good trout that get washed down that way as well. With the constant messing of flows from 1 to whatever I would say it really has to mess with the fish. I drove by that section today and saw the flows running pretty nice and thought I might give it a go. I don't see many people fishing that section, so if you can escape being attacked by a dog at that offleash park or avoid the foul smell from Santa Fe it might not be a bad place to give it a go.

I have heard the stories from the guys at the old All Pro store back in the day claiming of 5lb+ fish and wondered if you all had any stories from that section of river. If you have info and don't want to share - no worries, but those who do it would be nice to hear.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
B I have fished it all the through Denver its okay at best. Every now and then you will get surprised. Last year going to a bronco game walking from the pepsi center I spotted a school of walleyes and a few bows mixed in, guess you never know.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T - That is kind of what I figured. With the flows all over the place (last week the water looked stagnant) I would guess the fish have to move for survival. So, they are probably spread out here and there throughout. What do you think, worth a try?

Carp - if Trout says it is worth a try I will let you know and maybe meet you a day after work. Check it out a little.

Catching some Walleye and some trout out of that joint would be a kick though.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
There are actually some deep runs and big holes through out the river in denver. I caught a big bow back in the day by the old powdercoating shop and have had good luck on bass around elitches. Befor mineral the river behind columbine cc was really good for big browns. I think you kinda have to get luckyy picking a place holding fish and if you pick right there not to hard to hook.

S

·
0 Posts
Be sure you bring a gas mask and junk waders you never want to wear again

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Oh sure and I have plenty of my own holes that I have discovered BUT who hasn't. There are plenty of carp in the So. Platter but those SOB sure are SPOOOOOOOOOOOOKY.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Finally received my replacement rod from Orvis yesterday, so let me know and I'll hit it with you guys. I'm interested to see what's lurking in that cesspool.

Maybe roll over to the Celtic Tavern for a few black n' tans afterwards!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I think it is worth a go - if nothing pops up there are plenty of watering holes along the river.

I agree with Trout that it is all about finding a nice holding run or hole.

Carp and Chris - I will let you know when I can get out for a test run of old Stinky ;D

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
25 years ago from where 4-70 crosses up stream was awesome for rainbows and browms. at the time we used little dare devel spoons and spinners. I hiked it about 3 years ago from the state parks building below the dog park up and did not find fish untill right up at the spill way and i think they were small walleye and maybe smallies. there were some nice runs, but it was shallow at the time I bet at times some fish stack up there and I say giver a go! good luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All right - I will plan a recon mission some time next week for all who want to go - should be fun exploring the joint.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fordo - I am with you. Those fish have to stack up, especially when they drop the flows to nothing. I haven't seen many myself from mineral up expect for at the spillway. A few years back I saw folks lined up shoulder to shoulder at that spillway, so I went and checked it out. They were hauling in 20"+ eyes one after another. They all had their walmart luggage looking coolers and were filling them to the brim with fish. Lots of smallies too. So, I decided I would get in on some of the fun. Went back that night to catch some eyes. Got on the platform and threw out my leeches with a couple buddies. Too many people for a fly rod. About an hr in the asian contigent on the other shore fired a a nice lead head mister twister and bounced it off my noodle. First it pissed me off then I got a good laugh out of it and got the hell out of there. Haven't fished that section since, but am ready to explore again. We shall see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts