Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you experienced the huge ice shift on Saturday at 2pm...I have ice fished probably 500 days in my life and have never felt anything like it...I have always wondered what would happen to the ice if there was a minor tremor...so I was curious...we stopped at the the Eleven Mile Marina and talked to the owner Larry Falk...I was kind of sheepish about it...thought I had a shared hallucination with Joe...and Larry asked me what did the ice shift on you?...he started laughing and talking about pressure ridges that develop on large bodies of water...he said that the weather has been so cold so early that the ice is growing so fast that it is groaning and creating pressure ridges (they develop due to freezing water expands and cant push the earth so the ice heaves upwards in spots)...well I thought they developed gradually and was more surprised when he said you should have been here earlier in the week when we had the explosion that shook the marina trailer (it is on land and 30 feet back from the water!)...I said huh...he said there was a huge explosion...looked out the back window and snow and dust from all over the lake had been heaved up into the air and now infront of the trailer which been smooth ice was a huge pressure ridge extend well out onto the ice that had not been there 5 seconds before...kind of scary...I thought you could see these things coming...being created gradually rather than kaboom style...he said a number of years back they were fishing the inlet end early like this and ice had been forming quickly and they had a minor explosion right outside their ice house which when it finished the ice house was sitting with them in it at a 30 degree slant...he said if they had been a few feet further out they would have had been in the water...he mentioned what others have said here...that there is truly no safe ice and you should be prepared...he wears the ice picks around his neck...carries a rope attached to a floatation cushion...he says you never know...food for thought...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree that was truly amazing we were fishing around Goose Island and I thought it was an earthquake scared the sh*t out of me. The same thing happend on Sunday. We were seeing and catching quite a few fish both days until the sonic ice booms and afterwards things slowed way down for about an hour.

FC

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was wondering what had happened I heard a little bit about it here on the forum...I left the mile at around 1 on sat and went to Terryall....I guess I missed all the excitement!! That is a great story zman I had no idea that the ice would do that I thought just what you thought that it happened gradually of a period of time and not like the kaboom style like you said...so all in all very interesting and a lesson learned....THX for the report zman!!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pitbull it would of been interesting to been up there earlier in the week when the big one happened that Larry talked about...I wonder if some pressure ridges are gradual...since this is the first time I have ever felt a minor tremor...I know ice moves all the time...just not drastically...glaciers werent known for their footspeed!...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pressure ridges forming on thick ice doesn't scare me that much.  Even if you're right on top of them, you're more likely to get knocked over than to end up in the water.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
I've lived through much worse on 11-mile and antero. That one saturday was nothing!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Fly Chucker the "event" on the ice similar to an earthquake. A very good comparison. The principles of tectonic plate movement and and sheets of ice exerting pressure on each other and the release of energy that occurs is very similar.

As the ice grows it pushes against the ice that has already formed and when the sun shines on it the ice expands. All of this pressure builds up and finally releases when the edges of 2 plates of ice find a direction they can move into that has less pressure than the direction they are moving in.

Sometimes both sheets force upward, sometimes one goes under and the other goes over. Either way it forms a pressure ridge.

When this energy of the the sheets of ice is released suddenly it sends a pressure wave through the ice.

Sounds just like an earthquake but not on the large scale of a geologic event.

Dan

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was at 11 mi. 2 years ago off the north boat ramp and fell through a pressure ridge. Only my right leg went in, but it was up to my crotch. Talk about fear! I pulled myself out alright, but I was soaked and water logged the rest of the day. I never go out anymore without my safety spikes on a shock chord around my neck.
On that day, the lake had a fair amount of snow cover so I could not see how weak it was. The lesson - AVOID crossing over pressure ridges unless you are a gambler.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've lived through much worse on 11-mile and antero. That one saturday was nothing!
I'm glad...

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was on Granby about 10 years ago,and had a big tent out on the ice we were sleeping in. We were in front of the pump house and all of the sudden, boom!!! A guiser of water exploded up through the ice about 100' from our tent. Got the heart beat going a little, even back then, when I still felt young. Ten minutes later, an ATV went right into the hole and we all rushed to get him out. Very freaky.
Dan

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I fell thru about 5 yards from shore at Aurora and even though the water was only a couple of feet deep it scared the #### out of me!!!

I miss the best ice fishing of the year each December because I have lost my nerve ???

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I thought it was more vocal than an average winter day and it sure put the fish down but nothing unusual for what is still early ice.

I also heard the booms the last two Saturdays. They were interesting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Saturday was my first time on the ice and I have to admit that boom was a little freaky. after a few minutes I got used to all of the ice noices, but that one got my attention. If I was by myself, I think I would have hightailed it to shore for sure.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I fell through at Antero a few years back on a pressure ridge...still scares the &^%$ out of me just thinking about it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
along the same lines of safe ice and us big bad ice dogs
at least a couple times finding ourselves calling MAMA . Many years back
a buddy and I headed out fully geared on a res in North Dakota ,it was well into January and we had just fished it 3 days before so felt no need to pop a few test holes close to the shore , trudged a good ways out ,snow about 6 inces deep until Joe said "stop ,big pike under the ice here" (Joe often thought he had some kind of vexiler built into his head) , anyway
we lay all the stuff out ,set up the portable ,pop a few beers etc .
I fire up the auger and proceed to shaving ice, down about 16 inches I pop through and damn near push the whole auger threw the hole !
uhhh Joe, isnt a little water suppose to come out when you first break thru?
turns out they had let water out of the res thru the pipes at the dam ! very eerie feeling , , I bellied down on the snow and shined a flashlight to see "what the heck" which quickly turned to "ohh #%$&" ! it was hard to gauge the distance but it seemed the water was about 15 feet below the lid and it looked real weird like inside a ice cave . needless to say knowing that water helps hold up the ice we decided it may be best to gather our stuff and head in . to think 20 minutes before we were happy go lucky ,trompin through the snow ,dragging the sleds to get to that spot and now we were slowly and far apart from each other ,tightning up at every sound making our way to ground ! Joe you take down the hut, no you take down the hut , no you , I want my mommy :'(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts