Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this online.  Its about a guy in Iowa who went through the ice and died.  don't be a victim.

CEDAR FALLS, IA - Authorities have identified a fisherman who died after falling through the ice at a northern Iowa lake.

Police said Scott Alan Fullbright, 49, of Waterloo, died Wednesday after falling through ice at South Prairie Lake, on the southern edge of Cedar Falls.

They said Fullbright was found about 80 feet from shore where the water is about nine-feet deep.

Police believe he was in the water for about 30 minutes before an emergency call came in. Fullbright was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

A bucket and some fishing poles were found at the scene, but no ice auger was found, leading officials to believe the man was drilling a hole when the ice broke.

Authorities said the section of ice where Fullbright fell through was about 11/2 inches thick.

Even though the recent weather pattern has produced temperatures cold enough to produce safe layers of ice, officials warn anglers to take precaution.

''This is a unique year, said Al Finke, a park ranger. ''I can't remember a year when we've had this cold of weather that makes people think the ice is safe, but only have an inch or two of ice.''
From the Gazette in Cedar Falls Iowa

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm not a thin ice fisherman as I use to have dreams when I was a kid about swimming underwater and coming to the top for air and it being ice. So thin ice has always made me a little nervous I can wait a weekend or two for the ice to thicken up. With the temps varying all over everyone should drill a couple extra holes on their way out on the water to make sure its safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts