Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a debate raging on this site some time ago about Sage Rods. I came to the defense of this fine product. Some, Tangler, in particular, took some serious shots at my favorite rods.

Well, Saturday I was on my way out of Cheesman Canyon and heard this rock sliding down the hill. It scared the crap out of me, and I had no where to turn, and it was too late to run. So I took my Sage 9'5wt and stuck it in the ground. The rod stopped the rock and saved my life!

So, who's going to worry about warranty issues when Sage makes a product of this quality and strength?

I included a picture in case there are any doubters here abouts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most places I go the rocks are about 1/2 that size.Do you think I can get by using my 4wt ????? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tangler, easy, it was a joke. I've just always been amazed at that rock. And the picture only shows about one third of it. Just something to lighten the winter doldrums.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I almost got murdered by an Orvis net in Cheesman Canyon. True story complete with a dumbfounded witness. Sounds like Sage beats out Orvis in the life preservation category.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
TANGLER said:
I almost got murdered by an Orvis net in Cheesman Canyon. True story complete with a dumbfounded witness. Sounds like Sage beats out Orvis in the life preservation category.
who was controllin the net?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Guess I have to tell this story.

I used to have this metal Orvis net that collapsed in the middle and folded in half. I was too cheap to buy a magnet thing to hang the net on my back with so I used a snowboard binding leash to hook the net to my hip and it hung at my side.

Hummus and I were traversing a narrowish path up above the river a roughly 45 degree canyon wall - pretty standard Cheesman hiking in the upper reaches. My foot slipped and I leaned into the rock wall to catch myself with my inside hand, but before my hand came down, the net rim contacted with the rock wall down by my feet first and the other end stuck into my ribs. All of my body weight kind of bounced on the verticle net (cracking and breaking the metal net frame permanently). My balance was all off cause I was expecting to lean into the rock. The bounce kind of pitched me back over the other way down the smooth rock wall towards the river. The physics of it sounds strange and unlikely, but it all happened in an instant. I had no control over the situation and zero time to react other than with wide eyes and a brief recognition of a pinpoint pain in my ribs.

So I slid down the rock face maybe a couple feet, feet first on my belly looking back up the canyon wall when my feet catch on a ledge and stop my slide. Below that was nothing but smooth rock face down to a fall into the river in a section that you couldn't wade (hense why we were walking above).

I just looked back up at Hummus in shock and amazement.

That was the day Orvis tried to kill me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts