Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is just a question about why i read so many negative thoughts ,responses about sage. Now remember its just a question , dont get mad , i am just curious. Certainly it cannot be about the prices of their rods because then you would be just as angry about winston,gloomis,scott,thomas and thomas also.Just simple replies is all i am asking,or it is because there are more sage rods on the water than any other make. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own some different rods - sage, orvis, etc... I love my Sage Zaxis. Best one in my opinion. Someone posted a review off the web on the top end poles at it came in 2nd. I would agree with that. It all really just depends on your style of fishing. I am a short liner, sight fisher and nymph guy for the most part. I throw dries in the summer at times too. Don't do streamers much or fish lakes much either. I'm not into casting for distances, as I fish small rivers for the most part. Also, Colorado is a windy spot and my sage does really well.

I am willing to say that if you are spending $500+ on a rod then no matter the brand it is going to be a hell of a set up. Their are pros and cons to each of them. Sage has been at the top of the market for a long time and there is a reason for it. Most of the folks on this board have top end rods, reels and set ups and they are all worth the money. However, they are all going to be promoting their rods.

Everyone has an opinion, but as far as mine goes each rod fits each person differently according to their style. Test them out and find yours.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Never owned a Sage, probably never will. I learned to flyfish on lower cost models, St. Croix, Wright & McGill, and currently love the TFO flyrods because their inexpensive, perform well, and have a great warranty.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you can afford a Winston or Sage then go for it. They are worth the money. I mean that! I worked in a shop for 2 years and threw every rod that we had from St. C to Orvis and all the way up. The top rods perform like top rods. You"ll know the difference if you have ever fished with one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Z axis and TCX. The Z axis is awesome. It is great for just about everything. The TCX has not been a good rod. I love the way it casts (most would not agree). I just don't think that rod can hold up to everyday fishing since it is so stiff. I have broken various parts of the rod casting.... granted it has been with large streamers but that is what the rod is marketed for.

On an another note sage has been awesome in the returns of that rod. I had to pay for it once. The other two times sage has taken care of it at no cost. I am now having that rod replaced with a larger z axis.

For a sweet fast action rod I do not feel sage can be beat. For the dry fly fishing I really like the feel of winston.

It is all personal preference and what type of fishing you want to be doing.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Customer service/ warranty is a 50/50 thing. I have been on the bad end of 50
They still have NOT returned my slt ????????

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most who don't like Sage have never owned one, or won't. I have a few of the older LightLine series, and they're still my favorites by a landslide. They're a perfect extension of my arm. A perfect fit for my style of fishing. I've had some of the other "big" names too. I like the traditional Winstons.

All of the mid and upper-level rods today are fantastic compared to most of what was around 20-30 years ago. Sage has been around for quite a while now. They still make some dandies.

Fly rods are a very personal choice once you find the right "fit." Sort of like women, or boats, or beer, or ice cream.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sage dominates. Whether you like them or not they have been and will probably remain the penn ultimate fly rod manufacturer. They have always stayed on top, always put a great effort into R and D and always try for the ultimate in light, fast and feel.

I own many different brands and I love many. I am not even saying their rods are the best..cuz there is a lot of personal feel and perception in fly rods...But they are a Premiere manufacturer and there is no doubt a rod they make that will fit your style, needs and desires perfectly.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I love certain Sage rods, but had a rough time with their warranty dept... for that kind of scratch, I expected more...they were SUPER slow... The workmanship on my rod was not stellar, and the reason for the warranty work was simply poor workmanship... I was sad to spend 65 bucks (50 for repair, 15 to ship) to repair something they fouled up.

As for casting, their rods are taylored for different casting strokes and applications and they do exactly what they are built for and it is tough to complain about anything as far as castability.

They are a little heavier than their competition, but frankly if you mind a quarter of an ounce, your far to particular for me. The casting weight can actually be lighter than the competition because of action...

They are great rods, as long as you find the rod suited for you/your fishing style.

@Slow, your newfound hate for Scott is horrible.. You are just wrong, you have nothing but hate in your heart and your picking on young Theo as if he were the actual devil and not just named after him. Shame on you. I wish you a life filled with Sage rods!! THE HUMANITY..

p.s. Winston rules!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most of the negatives I have heard are associated with the return policy and warranty work, as others have said. I had to send my rod back and was glad I had a back up rod.

Other than that I have been happy with mine.

I was once told not to wear my sage hat in a fly shop ever again. That rubbed me the wrong way. Ownership of that fly shop has changed, so I can still go. The reasoning they gave me was, "Sage makes rods for the pacific north west and big fish, this is Colorado and we fish for little fish, so those rods aren't for Colorado." I was a little floored by the logic on that one. And,....it was just a freaking hat. It wasn't like I was wearing my Boston hat to Coors field, (which is a bad idea).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I should have also said, when you seen the broken rod back they will repair it????? The two that they did send back to me came back as gutless noodles, they are nice rods, but you pay dang there double the price of the rod for a unconditional life time warranty?? I f that warranty isn't worth the price then...????
As much as I dislike the thieves at orvis, these dirtbags honor the warranty better than sage
In the end it's just a matter of how you wish to give your $$$ to
My .02 is for the fisherman like me ( not rich) I count on the warranty as well as performance ---- sad for sage,

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have 4 Sage rods that i bought back in the 80s .according to sage there is no warranty on those rods .if something happens to one of them they will upgrade me with a newer model for a hefty price plus shipping.the last time we spoke the upgraded rod was a discontinued model without a warranty.i will shop for other brands
also my screen name SAGETROUT has nothing to do with the company

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Wow, I have been selling and fishing Sage for 28 years..I think. I own a lot of them...more than 20. I have broken so many it bears not even thinking about.

The sage warranty department does a fine job. If the wrappings are bad or the quality shoddy, send it back and have them fix it. They will.

I was not satisfied with one of my rod repairs and in ADDITION they sent me a brand new 586 RPL. Free.

So I am sure there are delays and bad examples but I really do not have one complaint in over 25 years dealing with their warranty dept..and this goes way back before their full warranty.

I am sure I just jinxed it..But here's the test..I will be honest and forthcoming.

I have ready to ship two sage's for repair...I do about 2-4 a year. One is a 690-3 SP, the other a 486LL. Neither of the rods are still manufactured and both have been repaired at least once. The 690, this will be its 3rd repair.

I will ship them today and keep a running report. I used the credit card number way to pay so I should have no contact until receiving my rods unless there is a problem.

We'll see...

·
Registered
596 Posts
If price were no object I'd buy a Sage or a Winston or a Scott, but since it is I'm more inclined to buy 3 different size and weight rods for the price of one Sage in a less well known brand. I'm a low tech fisherman.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Like Cochise, I have been fishing Sage fly rods since the mid 80's. I have a brand new 590 RPL they sent me last year to replace one I bought in 1989. I snapped the tip casting a big wooly bugger and they sent me the new rod for the $50 warranty fee and shipping. So, for less than sixty bucks they replaced a rod I paid $300 for back in '89 with an exact duplicate.

I wrote them a note when I sent it in telling them how much I liked this rod, how it just "fit". They have also replaced the tip section on an old 690, and fixed a cracked ferrule on a Z Axis. They have always been quick and really easy to do business with. Not sure what's going on with the others on the board, but none of what has been mentioned has ever been my experience.

I don't work for Sage, or represent them in any way. But I do own 5 of their fly rods and 1 spinner.

And I have had the same experience with Fenwick, another outfit that gets lots of firebombs.

Must be my sweet disposition! >:D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I've sent in 3 Orvis rods for repair. I got all 3 back within 3 weeks and I paid a combined $0.00 for all three transactions (even though they say it costs $30 for a repair now). Two out of the three times they upgraded me to the newest version of that model and one of those times they sent me a 4 piece when the rod I sent in was a 2 piece because I asked...

Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
TANGLER said:
I've sent in 3 Orvis rods for repair. I got all 3 back within 3 weeks and I paid a combined $0.00 for all three transactions (even though they say it costs $30 for a repair now). Two out of the three times they upgraded me to the newest version of that model and one of those times they sent me a 4 piece when the rod I sent in was a 2 piece because I asked...

Just sayin.
yeah, and this is the biggest reason I hear people complain about sage rods. Don't get me wrong, I've only ever fished sage, just because it's what I bought first, and love the rod. But I broke my rod once and it cost me $50 for the repair and it took them 5 weeks to get my rod back to me. I've heard stories like Tang's orvis story about reddington, TFO (is that the right name?) and scott before.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tangler, I have to ask, how old were those rods. My point was that this was a fly rod that was 20 years old. I don't know much about other companies, but I was more than pleased to get my rod replaced with a brand new like model after 20 years of use.

I just can't see where anyone can complain about $50 bucks to replace a rod that would cost $500.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Fisher-man said:
Tangler, I have to ask, how old were those rods. My point was that this was a fly rod that was 20 years old. I don't know much about other companies, but I was more than pleased to get my rod replaced with a brand new like model after 20 years of use.

I just can't see where anyone can complain about $50 bucks to replace a rod that would cost $500.

Just sayin.
All relatively new rods. My buddy sent in a broken Orvis "Rocky Mountain" rod that was 15 years old though and got the new TLS Matrix - free of charge.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts