Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what you guys had to say about this rod. I'm thinking a 9'5wt. My main focus for this rod would be streamers and lake fishing. Making longer casts in the wind and get some distance out of it. Thanks for the input.
Tim

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Perfect rod for that Tim... Just perfect. The only drawback from a rod like that is the way it fights fish.. The stiffness of the rod will pull a few hooks and is a little rough on light tippets... but for what you are talking about, you wont be worried much about it... Great casting rod.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like fast rods, but the tcx is just plain stiff, it feels very dead and unresponsive. If your gonna spend the money on a premium rod, get a scott s4, fast and powerful, but still responsive. Or save $300 bucks and get a Bank Robber, hands down the best meat stick out there!

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 6wt TCX is what I primarily fish with. I have mixed reviews on the rod.

Start out with the good: When you hit the sweet spot you can blast out most if not all of your fly line. At first it is unforgiving and if you are used to fishing rods with a lot of flex the rod can be down right embarrassing. After a few trips I believe the real fast action rods make you a better caster since you really have to have the timing down. It is really nice when casting articulated streamers not to feel the thud of your fly on your backcasts. I cast real comfortably some really heavy flies with this rod. This is also a great rod for multiple types of fish from wipers to big trout. I also do not find the rod to pull hooks out of fish because of stiffness, which is one complaint I have heard from multiple people on the site. This is due to the fact that I am throwing big bugs with big hooks many of them circle hooks or drop shot hooks that don't seem to dislodge easily. If I was nymphing with size 22's or such this may be a different story but this is not an all purpose rod.

Now the bad: I really do not think this rod is a great every day rod. I don't know too many people who fish this as their main rod. This is my main rod and my 5wt z axis is usually my second. The rod is so stiff that I don't feel that it can take day in and day out abuse, if that makes sense? I have owned it for 1 and 1/2 years and have broken it 4 times while casting. First break I completely blew out section three of my rod.... sounded like a gun going off. Another time two guides popped out..... and so on. On the positive side Sage replaced the rod for FREE saying it was due to manufacturing. This sucks however in the summer when you are fishing multiple times a week and don't have your main rod for a long time. My goal with this rod, like yours, was to have a canon that could cast big nasty flies all day.... that has yet to be seen for long periods of time. Maybe if there is someone else out there that uses this rod all the time my opinion could be corroborated or refuted. Which I would like to know as well. It seems like most people here like softer rods and would not have a use for this rod most of the time.

The Inbetween: Cost is kinda one of those things that to me is can be justified since this is really my main hobby and thankfully this my only vise. However if I buy one of the most expensive rods on the market it better perform up to the cost. That is where my issues have come into play.

My suggestion before you buy would be to check out some other rods or companies that claim the same thing about their rods such as the St Croix Galloup series that are made to toss big flies. These are in 6 and 7 wts. Also make sure the company that you buy your rod from has a good warranty since a conehead to the rod will be a pain in the ass if you have to pay 150 bucks for a replacement like some companies. The next thing will be don't buy a really fast action rod and find out your are undergunned for what you want to throw. I would look even at 7wts. It would suck to spend all the money on lines, reels and spools, and the rod and find out you want to chuck some flies for big bull trout in Canada and find out if you went with a 7wt over a 6wt you would have been happier. Remember the rod should be matched to the flies you are throwing not just to the fish you plan to catch.

Take that for what it is worth.

BC

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a 5 wt tcr and love it but I use it 90% of the time on stillwater and it is a great rod for it. I use 2 or 3x most the time so I cant't say anything about the light tippets. I did see the hatch fly shop had one for 495 pretty good deal for that rod I would go one weight wt heavy on that rod it will act much better that way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the feedback. I still have to determine between a 6 and 5wt. I hate to leave my five. I've fished a few sixes and they seem to be a little much for what I think I want. We'll see.
Tim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts exactly. Everything I've thrown with the 5wt, the rod handled easily. From articulated streamers to big dries.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Then it defeats the purpose of getting a 5 wt. I think the TCX is just a little silly like that. You could spend a lot less money and get a sweeter fast action 5 wt or 6wt. Why buy a 5 wt if what you want is a 6? And why buy a 5wt that's really a 6wt if what you want is a 5?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
Then it defeats the purpose of getting a 5 wt. I think the TCX is just a little silly like that. You could spend a lot less money and get a sweeter fast action 5 wt or 6wt. Why buy a 5 wt if what you want is a 6? And why buy a 5wt that's really a 6wt if what you want is a 5?
Because it goes to 11!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
I agree.

The only real answer is to be able to cast huge distance... which is silly.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
Because it goes to 11!
LOL!!!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
Because it goes to 11!
Be that as it may, and although the TCX is most certainly "one louder," its probably better suited for plowing the fields of your sex farm than for fly fishing. Using that club is better than dying in a bizarre gardening accident, but i'd still probably rather smell the glove than use a pool cue like that. Unless of course I'm just cutting the handle off, wrapping it in tinfoil and strategically placing it in my tight pants in order to appear more impressive. The TCX is probably good for that, if nothing else, and for some guys, that's probably enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts