Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I considered this rod vs. the Winston Biix. One of the guys I fish with most fishes this rod... We switch all the time, so I fish it a few times a year and love it. It is a little heavier than my rod, but honestly, I kinda prefer that... I kinda like a little extra weight on the rod, but I think I am the exception. I still prefer the Winston because it is a little faster, but it's not by much.

It is a great rod period. I was not a huge fan of the SLT which this replaced, but I think this rod improved the issues with the SLT. I feel the SLT was a little sloppy at distance... and lacked a little backbone in the wind... The ZXL seems to have a lot more control even though it is not super fast.

It is a smooth casting rod, and I cannot imagine you wont like it unless you really want fast action... It is fluid and I hear many dry fly casting enthusiests swear up and down this is the finest graphite rod on the market.

I can't imagine you wont love it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info Oyey. Thanks.

I love my SLT. I really love my SLT and was sad to see it go. That is why I am trying the ZXL, I think it will be more forgiving than the TCX cannon

I miss fishing around folks with Winston's. When I guided out of Oxbow we used a lot of Winstons and I loved those rods for mellowing thisngs out a bit and having a little more feel. I also like a little wieght in my hand with a sensitive tip. The feel from the old Powells and Winstons were tremendous. I really do try and use all rods with no bias but man after you try the rest and then pick up a sage...I just love their rods. I think it has a lot to do with my casting style as well and what feels the most familiar in my hand.

I have a truck load of rods and many brands but for some reason I grab a sage when I am heading out.

I am stoked to say the least. I will be chuckin and duckin in a week.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Oyey said:
I considered this rod vs. the Winston Biix. One of the guys I fish with most fishes this rod... We switch all the time, so I fish it a few times a year and love it. It is a little heavier than my rod, but honestly, I kinda prefer that... I kinda like a little extra weight on the rod, but I think I am the exception. I still prefer the Winston because it is a little faster, but it's not by much.

It is a great rod period. I was not a huge fan of the SLT which this replaced, but I think this rod improved the issues with the SLT. I feel the SLT was a little sloppy at distance... and lacked a little backbone in the wind... The ZXL seems to have a lot more control even though it is not super fast.

It is a smooth casting rod, and I cannot imagine you wont like it unless you really want fast action... It is fluid and I hear many dry fly casting enthusiests swear up and down this is the finest graphite rod on the market.

Hey Jason,

What about the poor build quality and poor customer service you encountered with your Z-AXIS? Wouldn't this rod potentially suffer the same problems? ;)

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
human cannonball said:
Oyey said:

Hey Jason,

What about the poor build quality and poor customer service you encountered with your Z-AXIS? Wouldn't this rod potentially suffer the same problems? ;)
That was one of the reasons I went with the winston. Man I had a hard time with that rod... I don't necessarily think that represents Sage, but yes, my experience was horrible.

I did cast a TCX and if I were entering a casting comp, that may be the rod I chose, but not for trout on CO waters IMO.

I have actually considered seling my Winston to go to a little faster rod, but I am still on the fence with that... I tend to use my 4wt more than my 5wt and I may end up with a rod specificly for high sticking and czech nymphing as my 5...

Who knows... I like collecting rods.. I want a TFO Finesse like yours too HC... I love that rod. I also casted a 7 piece 9' 3wt that was just smooth as silk... would be nice for hiking etc... and it was around $150.

what can I say, I'm a junkie. Better for me than crack though!!! O0

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Oyey said:
human cannonball said:
Oyey said:

Hey Jason,

Better for me than crack though!!! O0
Hear that! It's a LITTLE cheaper too!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have the ZXL in a 9' 5wt. Plenty of backbone with bigger fish but protects lighter tippets. Nothing bad to say about that rod. Just fantastic.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This rod is ridiculous. Felt a little soft at first pop but as I learned how to slow my elbow down and speed my forearm up a bit the rod just felt insane. The transfer of power felt as though it started at my shoulder and went all the way to the rod tip flawlessly. I never felt as though the rod was ahead of me or that I could not charge it without a perfect timed retrieve...its forgiving, way forgiving. The TCR would slap your face and make you feel like a school girl ***** while the SLT seemed like I had to really impress her...the ZXL is just happy with what you give her...

Dooods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts