Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some advice for an upcoming trip. Some friends and I will be visiting your great state in late May and decided on hiking and fishing the Salmon and Willow Lakes area of Summit County. We will be using standard rods and reels (not fly rods) and I was hoping for basic advice on things like recommended lures, bait, lb test line, best times of day, etc. Also, I'd love to hear any success stories anybody has had in these lakes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brett

·
Registered
80 Posts
They most likely will be frozen in May. Plan on staying overnight. Both of those lakes are tough long hikes at altitude. As far as lures go, small spinners or a fly and bubble would be safe bets. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Before the kid was born we hiked and fished it several times. two or three years ago, I backpacked up in the 2nd or 3rd week of june and had to turn back midway up the last steep pitch before salmon because of deep snow. Like these guys said, it can be a tough hike. Probably ought to wait until July. 1/8 ounce black or olive marabou jig, is all you need. Salmon is loaded with brookies, some that will bust the 12 inch mark. You have to go up to the upper willow to really get into the cuts. Its definitely not a day trip unless you are really strong hiker. The morning alpenglow off the Zodiac Spires is pretty awesome and is worth the trip. There are way better high lakes in the surrounding area but I don't talk about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts