Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into a handfull of Kokanee yesterday and with a trip planed next week I should have enough to fill the smoker. Just wondering if I should leave the skin on or remove the skin. I've heard both ways from a few people, I've only tried skin off and can't complain about the taste.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ask your dogs if they like the skin smoked or raw. Mine like Smoked Trout skin better then raw.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Ask your dogs if they like the skin smoked or raw. Mine like Smoked Trout skin better then raw.
If it's laker dont feed it to the dogs...lol the SPCA will be after you

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Skin on, that's what holds the fish together, I cut the size pieces then brine for 12 hours and dry for 12 hours prior to smoking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely skin on. You can also pan fry it and if you cut slits into the skin and cook it skin side down you can crisp up the skin and its really yummy.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Last time I cooked some salmon, I did it "Salmon 3 ways"...

I did a skin-side-down pan sear on one, cornmeal breaded deep-fried on another, and a cold salmon salad on crackers for the other...

All were good... The cold salmon salad went the quickest, the deep fried was probably my least favorite, although it was still very tasty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I leave the skin on and put fillets skin down on the smoker. Otherwise, it falls apart and falls through. That is trout. Salmon are hard to come by where I live.

s

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got into a handfull of Kokanee yesterday and with a trip planed next week I should have enough to fill the smoker. Just wondering if I should leave the skin on or remove the skin. I've heard both ways from a few people, I've only tried skin off and can't complain about the taste.
I'm looking to go snagging this weekend. Any suggestions on where to go?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts