Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two nice Ross Reels that have saltwater fly-lines on them from a trip to Belize 4+ years ago (pre 2nd child). Haven't been back. Would like to use the reels for pike in the mountains instead of bones/permit on the flats. What are the main differences between the two types of line. I would think the saltwater line would be tougher than it's freshwater brother. Please advice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The most likely difference is that tropical saltwater lines are meant to function best in hot weather. You may have problems with the lines coiling in cold conditions. Give 'em a try and you'll get it sorted out.

TP

·
Registered
513 Posts
The coiling mentioned before is indeed one problem, the other is buoyancy if you have a floating line. A saltwater floating line will not float in freshwater as well, in other words it tends to sink...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you have the budget then I would definetly invest in a freshwater line. The inner core of salwater and freshwater lines as mentioned earlier are set for differant water temperatures. Honestly though, if you gotta do it, you'll be fine with a salt water line. Just make sure you stretch out your line by wrapping it around the side mirrors on your car and pulling it back in forth with about 70 feet of line streched out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts