Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
fatty said:
Don,

Do you know how bad if at all the shuffle messes up the natural habitat for the larvae/nymphs?  I think this could be a bigger issue than suckering a few fish to bite.  
I don't know the answer to that. But I think any intentional destruction of habitat or stream bug life deserves our contempt. My understanding is that that was the reason it was outlawed on the San Juan where the practice got its name. That's the big reason I think it should be considered unethical.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It's the same thing as chumming and it does damage large stretches of stream habitat, especially those with any sort of vegetation, not to mention that it creates silt and sediment in the water column. One person doing it, probably no big deal; but several, day in day out doing it will very much affect the amount of insects in the river as well as the habitat...
And it's just plain pathetic...seriously, just go fish at a hatchery while they're feeding the fish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen people get nasty about it on the Bighorn and Missouri Rivers. Many of the guides on these rivers are excellent stewards that will not hesitate to call people out on doing this intentioanlly or unintentionally. I think it is all of our resposibilities, no matter our method of take, to do the same. Probalby not a great thing to do when fish are spawning as well.

D

·
0 Posts
ndawg said:
I've seen people get nasty about it on the Bighorn and Missouri Rivers.  Many of the guides on these rivers are excellent stewards that will not hesitate to call people out on doing this intentioanlly or unintentionally.  I think it is all of our resposibilities, no matter our method of take, to do the same.  Probalby not a great thing to do when fish are spawning as well.
Interestingly enough, there was a study done several years ago on the Middle Fork of the South Platte to determine whether angler wading during the brown trout spawn had any appreciable negative impact on fry hatch and survival and the answer was it did not. I don't remember all the details. I'm not sure whether it's available on the DOW website somewhere. It was done in the Tomahawk area.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't know how much it hurts the habitat, but I think that guy was catching many of the same fish. I bet some of them died. Every time he let them go, they went back down into the same hole and he had one on the very next cast. I bet he probably caught somewhere between 30-50 fish while I was standing there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
You know - it would never have occurred to me to do that. Seems pretty tacky to me.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, i agree with most of what has been said here, it's not usually that hard to catch a few fish and if it's one of those days well it's one of those days, they happen once in awhile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done it and still do, I called everyone I could from rangers to game wardens!
Chumming is introducing new bait or caught bait into the water doing the San Juan shuffle just pisses old vets off who think it’s cheating

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've seen guides on the Frying Pan above the bridge put a client on either side of the water. They cross back and forth, rather hastily and sloppily, AKA The San Juan Shuffle to "Help" the client on the other side quite frequently. Especially as the bite slows down. POS move in my opinion, but like everything else, business is business.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts