Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be down that way next week and have a day to fish the San Juan. I am not going to float it, just wade and wanted to see if any of you guys that fish it often have any tip on where to go. I searched and found some info, but thought I would throw it out there. Thanks in advance and I will give something back for some help. I fished S Delaney last night from 330 to 10pm from my bb and did well. The streamer bite seems to be on, cone-head black bugger and a leach trailer.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Stay above Simon point.

I like the main channel above the T-Hole. And then what they call the cable hole above the upper flats.

Red annalids, rs2 foam back, grey or black wd 40's

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I like playing around in the braids above the T-hole. Some nice fish in skinny water.
Agreed.

Just have not fished it much since the restoration efforts.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The Juan is really an awesome river for wading. Anywhere you go can/should be great. You might have to move a fair amount until you get em. If you aren't getting them early on move. That said, the higher up you fish, the more midges. As you go below T-hole more baetis patterns are a better choice. Small cream midge larva and red larva are the best midge patterns. R-S2's for your baetis. There are a few shallower runs leading into Three Island Run. Look for fish stacking up in them once the baetis start hatching. Usually around noon or so. Sometimes a bit later. If you are a dry fly guy go down a bit around Frustration Point and Baetisrun. Evening times or later afternoon, walking up from the gravel pit take out can be some exceptional dry fly fishing. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Beatis,

I heard they had a gully gusher that dumped a LARGE amount of sand in that lower section from Simon pt down and it is void of fish(so to speak). :confused: How far down,did not ask but heard it from a few folks. Also heard all the big fish are gone but seen pics saying different ???

Have you been down recently?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Beatis,

I heard they had a gully gusher that dumped a LARGE amount of sand in that lower section from Simon pt down and it is void of fish(so to speak). :confused: How far down,did not ask but heard it from a few folks. Also heard all the big fish are gone but seen pics saying different ???

Have you been down recently?
Nope. Not lately. That's a bummer if true. I remember guiding a group years ago when a big storm hit. Simon blew out bad and it did mess things up for quite some time. It wouldn't surprise me if it did. I don't think the big fish are gone. We've caught a lot of really good fish. A year or two ago it seemed like a lot of smaller fish were being caught, but the last few trips have been pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
There was a yr not very long ago that the NM Game and Fish down there could not stock the Animas and they dumped them in the Juan to the number of 200,000 extra fish, give or take 50,000 fish.. So for a yr or two it was kinda annoying catching the Governor Martinez fish. But I think they would have been in there for 3-5 yrs now??? Which would prolly be getting to decent size now.

Heard they need a yr where they can run 5-6000cfs for a couple weeks at least to clear it (sand) out. Or something to that effect.

I recall a yr where the T-hole parking lot got covered with sand from a flash flood. Impressive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Simon Point did indeed flood a year ago, and still no useful populations of fish back. Stay as far up toward the dam as you can walk and you will have lots of fish to look at.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Little late, but wanted to post a couple of pics. Fishing was great and the crowds were manageable. Caught most of the fish on small (22-24) midges of varying colors and got in the middle of a good cluster midge hatch for about an hour. Ended up catching two on a size 18 renegade on top and missed a handful of hits as well. I fished above the Texas Hole and there seemed to be fish wherever there wasnt crowds. Had a great time and would love to go back some day!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Nice!!! Crazy that the last picture is considered manageable crowds!!! lol. Cool pics, I would still love a 4-5 day gig there. Love the place.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice!

The flows are great right now compared to the last several yrs.

The T-Hole isn't that crowded in your pic!
Looks like a slow day there ::)

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, but I still can't get over 3-5lb fish tailing below me when wading. The bastards kept bumping my feet to get me to move them so they can feed. Definitely a bizarre place, but a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts