Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning a bike riding trip for Yvette's birthday in the middle of May. Our plan is to hit some trails in Aztec, Gallop, Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott and Albuquerque. We'll be traveling through the Farmington area twice..on the way out and back.

I've never fished the San Juan. My question is would it be worth it if you could only squeeze in one day of fishing?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Absolutely.

The San Juan is such a cool place in general. Not just the fishing, but the remoteness and exotic feel. For me, that type of day is cherished and I wouldn't miss it, even if only for a couple hours. Not sure how your wife likes fishing/floating, but getting a guide and floating that river is as relaxing as it gets (well, for lazy people like me.. you guys prolly think of walking from Abes to the dam as relaxing).

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
It's definitely worth it, Dave. It will be crowded, but that river produces some pigs...

Also, you may want to contact RAD. He's down that way, and fishes that area quite a bit. If you want his contact info, PM me.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I told Yvette it would be hard to be that close to somewhere I've heard about, but never been, and not have a chance to check it out. Sounds like it definitely needs to be added to the trip. Not too sure when we'll ever be out that way again and it would make a nice relaxing ending to our trip.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My opinion is quite different from others. Seems you will be in the area so I would fish it for sure. To make the drive from Denver just to fish it is a waste IMO.
As for wiggles saying pay for a float. I would say save your money. It is not a large river, there are people literally everywhere. Every decent run is wall to wall bodies and then these guys come floating down the river. All I could hear one guide saying was "on your left, on your right" to alert his clients of the bodies in the river.
Yes, there are pigs but the numbers of fish per square mile are produced by dumping a **** ton of stockers in the river which most of the time is what you will catch.
I am not trying to discourage you at all and since you're in the neighborhood I would defiantly fish it but I would rather float the Colorado then spend money weaving around bodies on the San Juan.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah..No raft on the trip. I am planning on checking it out on the return trip home. Did notice that the middle of May is when they usually crank the flows up to 5000 cfs for a week. That could be interesting.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
A crowded river at times, yes. Always able to get away from crowds and have great fishing, yes.

Floating is awesome, so is wading. ....nice to see other waters and the Juan is a fantastic fishery. Rado is close to the top of my list of rivers I enjoy to fish but the biomass is paltry compared to the juan. Any crowded river should be approached the same way, popular spots=fish early and late. Off the path spots=middle of the day.

Fish grow fast and big and there are a lot of really beautiful prize winning fish in their.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
It is definitely a better river to fish in winter than in spring and summer, but you can still get some good time on the water if it's in the middle of the week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts