Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys ever ice fish these lakes? Jsut wondering if there is any word on the ice at these two places.

B

·
0 Posts
sanchez had a bad winter kill/die off last year because of low water conditions, the dow guy down there said they were trying to reestablish some bait fish in the lake but it is hurting as of now,,,,I thought they drained Mt. Home a couple of years ago?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's too bad about Sanchez :(...They did drain Mt. Home but it is full again and i'ver heard they are agressively stoccking the lake.

D

·
0 Posts
Bobco-

Did all the perch, pikeand walleye in Sanchez die off??? I guess what I'm asking is whether it was a complete winter killl. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Don In Denver said:
Did all the perch, pikeand walleye in Sanchez die off??? I guess what I'm asking is whether it was a complete winter killl. Thanks.
No it was not a complete winter kill. But fishing has been pretty tought there this year, so I'm told.

B

·
0 Posts
yeah it wasnt a complete die off, but it has been hurting for a couple of years, we went down 3 years ago and it was like the dead sea, the water got to a level where there was no vegatation left and if was black silt on the bottom, the crawdads just layed there close to death, i guess no oxygen, . it looks like they will get to start from scratch agian there.....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
lucky7 said:
Are they gonna keep Pike in the lake?
If sanchez is west of the continental divide (which I think it is), no. There will no longer be pike, walleye, perch, crappie, catfish, etc, in there because they cannot stock gamefish west of the continental divide. Unless mr. bucket biologist pays a visit???

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
good! They may keep it a warmwater fishery then!

I always wanted to fish it. never got around to it and now I'm wondering what I missed :'(

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TroutFishingBear said:
good! They may keep it a warmwater fishery then!

I always wanted to fish it. never got around to it and now I'm wondering what I missed :'(
TFB:

I had some great days there deadsticking a perch for the big Northerns...I am sad to hear it is fading!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
beauty. Sounds like the yampa is now! I REALLY missed out, more than I previously thought. Great fish don!

D

·
0 Posts
Back in that time frame the lake was full of big perch- legitimate 10-12" fish and lots of 2-8 lb. walleyes. It was a heck of a fishery in those days.

B

·
0 Posts
nice fish Don, we have been fishing since it opened and it was incredible those first years, you want perch, you could catch hundreds that were worthy of cleaning and the walleye fishing was great, but then there ended up being to many mouths to feed and you were lucky to catch a perch, I'm sure there are bright days ahead for Sanchez it just may take a while to come back. I really love that place and you have to be a little wierd to love that nasty lava rock, windy, high desert place in the middle of no where!!!

D

·
0 Posts
bobco said:
I really love that place and you have to be a little wierd to love that nasty lava rock, windy, high desert place in the middle of no where!!!
Yeah, and the rattlesnakes! I really enjoyed that place, too.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don In Denver said:
Back in that time frame the lake was full of big perch- legitimate 10-12" fish and lots of 2-8 lb. walleyes.  It was a heck of a fishery in those days.
Nice fish Don...I think i amy have to find one good Pike fishery to catch a nice Pike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts