Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a buddy and I drove down to Sanchez reservoir from colorado springs... 2 1/2 hour drive to get there and we were both excited to hammer some of the perch and have a deep fish fry tonight. No dice. We got out there about 9am and walked about 50 feet onto the ice and punched a test hole. About 6" so we went back to the truck and got the 4-wheeler and a couple buckets of gear and went out 100 feet and punched another hole. About 5 1/2 inches. Even while we were walking we could hear the ice cracking right around us (not the normal cracks you hear all day). So we got back on the wheeler and headed out a little further until i swear the ice was going to break under us. The ice kept getting thinner the further we got out and we couldnt get to the places we wanted to without fear of soiling the underwear. We decided to pack up and head back, even the holes we punched were too shallow to fish. Too spooky for me. :-\ :'(

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Leave the 4wheeler and walk? I dont like being out on anything less then 5-6 inches, so I feel for ya. We need a coldfront!!!!! ITS WINTER!!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree. It really irritates me when the weather warms up in the winter, and the forecasters talk about how wonderful it is to have warm weather in the winter.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We did end up leaving the wheeler and walking... It just gives me the heeby jeebies when i hear it cracking around my feet. It was really spooky when i punched one of the holes and it cracked around the edges where i was standing. I think I'll be going to Blue Mesa for perch and Macs, no shortage of ice there.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Friend of mine talked to DOW last year about the Perch. My understanding is the Perch have pretty much been eaten by the Pike.
I have fished Sanchez four or five times in the past three years. Caught Walleye, but mostly hammer handle Pike.
Did you have a depth/fish finder? Did you spot anything?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I dunked my fish finder down a couple of the holes and it was pretty shallow even when I was out a couple hundred yards. Didnt see anything moving through so we just packed up.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'm guessing you were on the South East side of the lake.
The water has been so low that you could walk out to the island.
The area around the dam and the rocky West side is much deeper.
How far out of the water was the boat ramp?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was on the southeast side of the lake trying to get to the east side of the island by the pressure ridge. Im guessing the boat ramp is on the west side? I didnt see it out there but the lake was really low

1 - 9 of 9 Posts