Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, this is my first post on here. I live in Utah, but recently purchased a piece of land near Sanchez Reservoir. I've looked through your archives, and can't find any info about it in the last 5 years. Anybody fish it in the last year? Anything still in there? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Never fished it but apparently they drained a large portion of the water and did some construction in 2014.

Here is a video of a controlled demolition of the water tower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. From what I've found it sounds like it was a good Pike/Walleye water in years passed. I'm hoping there's still something swimming in there.:-[

That video was pretty cool as well.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Used to be great for perch...if they fill it back up ought to have the new lake effect and be off the hook initially!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I don't know what happened there... The fishing got progressively worse for years... My last trip was in 2013 and the fishing was poor, except for huge carp. There were definitely some big pike in there, and possibly still are... I don't know if they have filled it. There was such a lack of water in that area for so long, it really turned rough... The past 2 years, they have had better water and they destroyed the tower... Will be interesting to see how it comes back or if it does...

There are some other interesting lakes close to there as well.... Hang out around here for a while and I will give up some info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. It'll be hard for me to be interested in many other Colorado posts, being in Utah and all, but I'll keep my eyes open and contribute what I can. If you guys have any Utah water questions feel free to send me a message. I should have some kind of info for most Utah waters.

I'll make sure to post something once I give Sanchez a try. I'm heading down there the weekend of new years to check out the property I bought. I'm debating on buying a day pass, and drilling a few holes. I will be with my girlfriend though, so it probably won't happen. My first real trip down there will probably be April.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, what exactly would you like to know? They've gotten pretty popular over here. I caught some smaller ones a few weeks ago in the Uinta Mountains at Trial Lake. It's about an hour and a half northish east from Salt Lake City. They're expecting the world record Tiger trout to be caught out of Schofield Reservoir any time, now. It's about an hour and a half south eastish from Salt Lake. They'll take just about anything rainbows or cuts will eat. Most people fish for them with a jig tipped with chub meat. The ones I caught a few weeks ago were caught on smaller jigs tipped with meal worm. They fight pretty good, and are real beautiful fish.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Haha, what exactly would you like to know? They've gotten pretty popular over here. I caught some smaller ones a few weeks ago in the Uinta Mountains at Trial Lake. It's about an hour and a half northish east from Salt Lake City. They're expecting the world record Tiger trout to be caught out of Schofield Reservoir any time, now. It's about an hour and a half south eastish from Salt Lake. They'll take just about anything rainbows or cuts will eat. Most people fish for them with a jig tipped with chub meat. The ones I caught a few weeks ago were caught on smaller jigs tipped with meal worm. They fight pretty good, and are real beautiful fish.
Is that a lake that can be fished from shore? Or would it be best to have a boat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can fish it from the shore, but as usual, a boat always helps. It's capped right now, and you can ice fish it as well. It's an interesting lake. It's been over run by chubs. They still stock it with trout, though. You're most likely to catch chubs, then small skinny cuts. But if you get lucky, you might tangle up with a big old Tiger trout. Like I said earlier, most people will catch a chub, then cut it up and throw a piece on a jig for the Tigers and Cuts. Your standard ice fishing trout rig will work well. The chubs will take just about anything, but they have smaller mouths, so if you do want to catch any you'll want to use smaller jigs or bait. A night crawler works well.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Back in its heyday it was one of the best pike lakes in the state. The perch population crashed and that set off the chain reaction-hammer handle pike and walleye.

Why the perch pop crashed I don't know-too much catch and keep, low water, too many pike for the available forage. Maybe a combination of all of that. Low water has always been a problem here and with it you get the boom bust cycles.

If it ever gets good again, I'll be back.

Mountain Home and Smith offer some decent fishing and aren't far.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
cdow was stcoking 3 mill eye fry in lake every year, was awesome eye lake untill they ate all the perch. first years you could catch buckets of perch, had some nieghbors that cleaned perch for hours on end.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
^^ I was told the same thing from the ATown biologist about the perch crash in Aurora to many Eyes and not enough forage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts