Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang, I'm planning on going down to the Sangres for some brook trout fishing this weekend. I only plan on taking my fly rod and a box of dry flies. My brookie experiences in the Sangres have been at Hermit Lake, Upper and Lower South Colony Lakes, Middle Taylor Creek (of course) and Willow Lake/Creek. This time I'm planning on going in from the east side (Westcliffe). Anywhere up to a 5 or so mile hike is not a problem. So I'm wide open to your suggestions?

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's two lakes above Hermit and there's a lot of lakes on the back side. There's also Sand Creeks and Lake of the Clouds on the eastern half. I think there's a fly shop in Westcliff that could have a map of the area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where is Westcliff, how long a drive from Denver ??? ??? i want to get into some good brookie fishing. I used to go up to lincoln lake (near mt evans) all the time and the brookie fishing is non-stop action, it's quite a hike though but beautiful scenery and fishing

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given the fire I'd say that a trip through Wetmore is out. Exit I-25 in Colorado Springs for Hwy 115 to Penrose/Florence and Canon City. Take US 50 west through Canon City all the way to Texas Creek. Turn south (left) at Texas Creek and follow it (Hwy 69 I believe) for about 20 minutes to Westcliffe.

Once in Westcliffe, head directly west out of town on a dirt road (you can see it going up into the hills). You actually have to go about 2 blocks south through town, then turn west on to this road. There is one intersection about 5 miles out of Westcliffe that will point you to Hermit Lake - go left there. About another 3-4 miles will bring you to a primitive camping area named Middle Taylor Creek. You can't tell from the road but there is a huge system of beaver ponds directly behind the willow bushes that come up to the road. They are chock-full of 4-8" brookies. If you follow the feeder creek upstream you'll have to do a little climbing (100-200 vertical feet) and you'll get to a very nice waterfall. Above the waterfall is some excellent pocketwater that will hold the larger brookies (8-10"). It's a good time with everybody's favorite: a size 18 parachute Adams. If that fails to get some attention (I doubt it because there are a LOT of mosquitoes up there) try an olive wooly bugger or an orange asher (lots of aspen upt there so a caterpillar imitation often works).

Enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts