Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the Arsenal/ Lake Ladora for Pike on Saturday.

The powers that be had decided to make it a FREE day. Therefore, there were about 15 volunteer "agents" out there in Khaki's. We took our time going, arriving at 8:30 AM, and sauntered in to pay our fee & sign in. We waited in line behind about 12 people, and when we arrived at the desk, the strange lady said we could sign in out back in "one of the tents" as they had these white tents up for some shindig or other. Bus loads of tourists came in.

We got out to the tents and some other agent told us there 'was no signing in' in no tents, nowhow. Well, that was enlightening....[Here's yer Sign!]

The fishing has been REALLY slow out there for the last few weeks, so I didn't expect much. It didn't get massively better Saturday. Soon as I waded in I saw the guy next to me land a 6# largemouth, and before he weighed it I was sure it was a 12#. [Fishermen don't mean to lie; they just cain't tell...] ;D

Right after that, about 10 AM I suppose, I nice pike about 29" decided to take my lure right off the surface about 15' in front of me, and that was a thrill. I only caught one other, but he was definitely a stronger, heavier fish. I thought I'd hooked the 48" I dream of, but nope, in spite of his heft and fight, he was only about 30"

I missed a hookset on a really nice one after that, right on the surface. I was busy watching fish swim around me. [Here's yer Sign!...]

We left after 1 PM. Things just seemed even slower. They are often really slow through Saturday afternoons, with action picking up right before quittin time. No fun fishing through the afternoon doldrums.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
fished the arsenal today caught 11 pike two on zara spook and nine on swim bait, the pike were really aggressive on the surface i missed a couple risers, i also caught a largemouth on a rainbow swimbait, i talked to a guy in waders who was sight fishing he caught over 30 bass on plastic worms, overall real great day ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
catfishking said:
fished the arsenal today caught 11 pike two on zara spook and nine on swim bait, the pike were really aggressive on the surface i missed a couple risers, i also caught a largemouth on a rainbow swimbait, i talked to a guy in waders who was sight fishing he caught over 30 bass on plastic worms, overall real great day ;D
Wading at the arsenal? Wasn't he afraid the chemicals in the water will eat through his waders? Give him cancer or make him sterile?

Dan

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
lol the chemicals are all cleaned up, anyways all they talk about are the two lakes and how there fly and lure, i saw the biggest pike ive ever seen crusing in the shallows the guy next to me had it on a tube and snaped his line like nothing

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James,

It's merely a quick rule coverage, re: crushing down barbs on all hooks, etc, and the rules about staying on trails, obeying the regs...etc, etc, etc....and the usual threats about closing down the entire operation of being public if any single person ever does a single little thing wrong ever again. ..... ;D

M

·
0 Posts
do u have to take the course every time u go? how much is it to get in? how do u get there from somehwere south of denver...like highlnds ranch or littleton? Is shore fishing pretty good or are waders a good idea?

answwer all those and ur my hero

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mustang....well...if it will make me your HERO..... :D

Costs 3 dollars. You take the 15 minute lesson once only, then get an ID card with an official stamp and everthin.....

Shore fishing is good from the dam, waders give you more lake to fish.....

For those south metro....TAKE I-25 NORTH to I-70 EAST and exit at Havana going North, which takes you right up to the Arsenal gate. Stop for the gate guard and don't threaten to slap him around. (this makes it much easier, in my opinion!). Drive through until the gate blocks your path and turn right at the gate, parking in the lot which you cannot miss. Walk inside. The ORIENTATIONS start promptly at 9:00 AM each Saturday.

Each Sat after, you can show up at 8:00 am, show yer license, and official Rky Mtn Arsenal ID card and start fishing in either of the two small lakes.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
even though they make you go through the class there are still people there that think that the rules must not apply to them, there was a moron wading at lake mary last week,same guy was also pissing on shore instead of going over to the porta potties. people were walking all over the place not staying on the trails and some idiot when we showed up last sat had a pike laying up on the asphalt road while he was trying to find his pliers or something(maybe he was trying to find his head in some nether region, as he was just kind of standing there looking at the fish)guess he forgot that fish need water to survive and they dont do real well laying on the road.  wonder how he would do if ya took him out and tied him to the bottom of the lake for about 10 minutes i'm willing to bet he really wouldn't fare too good either.  these people need to realize that these fish even though they are just the ugly pike, they are just as delicate as the smallest trout and i for one would really love to catch those ugly pike instead of those slimers you find elsewhere.  i've been fishing out here for 3 years now and you can really see the difference in the people fishing there now and the people that were there 3 years ago.  the people that were there before actually cared about the place and preserving the fishing and following the rules(they really arent that difficult to follow if you are not an idiot) now you just see a bunch of people that really dont seem to care if that place is open to fishing or not.  they are to busy to throw their trash away so they just leave it for us to pick up, which i do because i like fishing somewhere that close to home that i can catch the quality and quantity of fish that i really don't think is equalled anywhere.  so if you fish there please just try to do what you think is right to keep this place a quality place to go for all groups of people to fish.  and if me or my girlfriend seeyou out there being and idiot  we are definetely gonna tell ya what we think of you.  this place usually has the kindof fishing that some people never get to experience so lets try to keep it that way.

M

·
0 Posts
nawanda, u r my hero, i think i will go there saturday for an hour or so...i have to work at one, any tips or anything, lures? metal leaders necessary? locations? heheheim just milking the information, but dont give any u dont want, just trying to get the heads up since ive never been there

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mustang,  you can use a metal leader.   My personal preference is a 20 to 30 pound test mono.

Any lure with a spinner,  like Panther Martins  and little ones too,  will attract the largemouths out there.  All you have in Lake Ladora is Largemouths & pike.

You can catch pike with just about anything.  Now here's something important for you.   Most of the Lake you fish isn't more than 5 to 12 feet deep, and 5 feet is more common through-out the shoreline.  Lures that run deeper than 5 feet have a very high chance of getting snagged on structures,  rocks...etc.    You'll lose fewer lures with stuff running Surface to 5' deep.  Especially off the dam, as you reel in the last 15',  if you're too deep,  you'll get hung up.

Don't go without some long-nose pliers or hook remover because  you're hands will definitely be put at risk.   Take a little camera with you.   There are some pretty big fish there.

I never bother with Lake Mary. It's got nice Bass but not as many Pike.   If you only have a short time,  just go stand off the dam right about the middle and let your lure sink to to 10' and then bring it up to you.   Sometimes the Pike will take it right in front of you.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
jamiehuges i agree but some people like to take pictures of the fish, most of the time at the arsenal id rather have them get off the hook right next to the bank then handle them, on a hot day when the asphalt is warm i understand about that, but when the weather is fine its ok , most people dont understand that pike are strong fish, the trash there is a problem i agree to , the arsenal needs to put trash cans along the dam to prevent that problem,ive had people yell at me for having a pike out of the water but having a picture is everything , words arent s"t ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking a quick picture before you release a fish.  As long as you don't delay it unnecessarily.  My kid and I require "evidence" for any fish claimed that the other does not see.  "no proof, no fish!

Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts