Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS—As part of continuing efforts to involve the public in managing their wildlife, Colorado Parks and Wildlife will hold two “State of the Fisheries” meetings this month in Grand and Summit counties. Local anglers, guides and business owners or any interested members of the general public are invited to attend and offer their views about the management goals of several local fisheries.

The first will occur Tuesday, March 18, in the Buffalo Mountain Room at the Summit County Commons in Frisco, followed by a meeting Wednesday, March 19, at the Granby Public Library. Both meetings begin at 6:30 p.m.

“It’s important for the public to understand that we rely on their input for our wildlife management decisions and strategies,” said biologist Jon Ewert of Colorado Parks and Wildlife in Hot Sulphur Springs. “We anticipate a lively discussion and encourage everyone to come out and participate in the future of their local fisheries.”

Ewert plans the meeting as a ‘data workshop’ which he describes as being effective in encouraging discussion and interaction between the agency and sportsmen.

“As we have done in the past, anglers will have the opportunity to call out a local body of water and then I will provide data, stocking records and future plans about that fishery, followed by an open discussion,” he continued. Colorado Parks and Wildlife reminds the public that fishing licenses go on sale March 31 and are valid for one year.

Licenses can be purchased at any CPW office, license agent, by phone or online. To purchase a license online, please visit: www.wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/Pages/totallicensing.aspx

For more information about fishing in Colorado, please visit: www.wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/Pages/Fishing.aspx

Here's your chance to voice your opinion on fisheries management. There should be meetings statewide

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
hey catchn. here ya go!

and Steve... check your phone messages.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm thinking of hosting a elk chilli dinner here in siverthorne before the Frisco meeting if anyone interested. It would be nice to show up in numbers. Make the trip up here, and dinner is on me!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
:pound:

give em hell guys. You guys will surely get the Kowalski but it's fun while it's happening because we float along thinking these guys actually care what us mere non-bio's have to say or especially think about how to manage our waters.

I lost count of the meetings like this I have attended. They are not even worth the effort any longer. Their mind is made up for years in advance and you wont sway these guys on any decisions, but like I said it makes us all feel involved. Maybe this will be the one time!

You should see their new shock boats...the Lotus of the 007 that are licensed to kill. Super keen new ways to infuse rotenone and genetic tampering to create these lovely stockable fishes.

While I am in church today I will do what I feel is the best possible tool we have right now, pray.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Play Play The Game Tonight ~ What Band/Song

I agree with cochise, lets play the game for the stool pigeons.

Why do I say this? Different venue but same format when I went to a meeting about development in my neighborhood. They did exactly what we all disagreed with. In this case it was tax dollars. But they just let us believe they were listening.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You guys are right. I discovered it 16 years ago at the onset of the states desision to start reducing the trophy lakers to increase kokanee egg take at roaring judy. We had petitions with hundreds of signatures and a hand full of guys speaking up at the meetings. Still it did no good. However, this year I am going to use my right to disagree, ask a few questions and voice my opinion on stocking rainbows in Dillon. And implementing a bag limit that protects trophy lakers at Green Mountian. I figure if I'm willing to speak up about it on the internet and emails going to the meeting is the right thing to do since I will be able to attend this year.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would be there but I will be out of town next week.

It is possible that the group will just be ignored, but it is a guarantee that they won't hear us if no one attends.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You guys are right. I discovered it 16 years ago at the onset of the states desision to start reducing the trophy lakers to increase kokanee egg take at roaring judy. We had petitions with hundreds of signatures and a hand full of guys speaking up at the meetings. Still it did no good. However, this year I am going to use my right to disagree, ask a few questions and voice my opinion on stocking rainbows in Dillon. And implementing a bag limit that protects trophy lakers at Green Mountian. I figure if I'm willing to speak up about it on the internet and emails going to the meeting is the right thing to do since I will be able to attend this year.
It really is our only tool. If I was in the area I would show up.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Only Tool

Yea It's our only tool but that's a lot driving for a minimal return.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's funny how some anglers will complain about the fishery issues all year but won't show up at a meeting when they could help make a difference, that Chili sounds good Fordo.

·
Registered
385 Posts
hey catchn. here ya go!

and Steve... check your phone messages.
LOL you kill me Dave

Good luck with your endeavors guys,... i don't have a dog in this particular race but like mentioned above you most certainly shouldn't complain if you don't make your voice heard.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yeah and they make it conveniently user friendly on a week night at 630 pm...yeah lets do it that way so no one will hope to show up from the big city traffic snarl known as Denver metro...not to mention smack dab in the middle of the snowiest month for the high country...and a week notice...no conspiracy theory here...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm gunna wait til all the bio's and cpw guys are in the meeting and then bucket bio all the lakes in grand county.......JK...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'd like to be there of offer support to you guys ... maybe I'll make it...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah and they make it conveniently user friendly on a week night at 630 pm...yeah lets do it that way so no one will hope to show up from the big city traffic snarl known as Denver metro...not to mention smack dab in the middle of the snowiest month for the high country...and a week notice...no conspiracy theory here...
It's a regional meeting put on by Jon Ewert who's the CPW fisheries biologists for "Colorado Headwaters"--basically Grand and Summit Counties. And he posted it on his blog a week ago.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hat's off to Jon Ewert for doing the state of the fish meetings. I've been inquiring all morning trying to find info on statewide meetings and there aren't any other than one in the Glenwood area that was last week. The dpw website doesn't even show the meetings.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can't make the drive, not enough notice, they don't listen, blah.
Excuses. Excuses.

This isn't a battle, it's a war. You're in it for the long haul.
It's not one meeting. It's meetings, phone calls, emails petitions, follow up, follow through.

It's protecting our fisheries and leaving them better than we found them.
Stand up and commit to being part of a solution or be a martyr with your excuses.

Off my soap box.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The squeaky wheel gets the grease, I'm working daily on information, phone calls, meetings, e-mails etc. There is absolutely no valid reason the catchable Rainbow stocks have been so inconsistent and Granby has been shorted the last 3 years. The good news is we were approved for 55,000 this year and the first 15,000 will be stocked in April. Still not where we want to be but a big step in the right direction so it is paying off. Comparably Twin Lakes and Turquose get over 10 times as many catchables per acre as Granby has the last 3 years. Tuesday at 6:30 in Frisco will focus on Dillon Reservoirs, Rainbows, Arctic Char and Browns and Wendesday at 6;30 in Granby will focus on Granby's Rainbow stocking, adding a 1 over 20" Lake trout reg and possible lake trout bag limit increases along with focus on other nearby waters.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was going Tuesday, after reading redleader's last post I'm now going Wednesday.Not that I don't care about bobo's, I just care a ton more about Lake trout.See you all there

1 - 20 of 81 Posts