Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years fishing in Colorado, I finally caught something worth posting. My question is this a saugeye? When I caught it I assumed it was a walleye. I did a quick measurement (29") and picture and set her free. After I got home I looked at the picture and started wondering if it was a saugeye.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Looks like it could be...catch and release state record is 27 inches and the catch and keep is 28.5 for saugeye with a weight of 10-14...dont want to know where you caught it but is it a notorious saugeye lake?

Awesome fish congrats whatever it is...

·
Registered
9 Posts
don't tell anyone where u got it. you will be balls deep in love with other fisher, catcher, "keeper" men. Nice fish BTW. congrats

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
don't tell anyone where u got it. you will be balls deep in love with other fisher, catcher, "keeper" men. Nice fish BTW. congrats
Dont want to know where...if its not a place they have put saugeyes in then it probably isnt is all I am saying...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Where did you catch it? :biggrin1: J/K, but Z is right. If it is not from a lake/pond that has saugeye, it probably is not one. It looks like one to me though. Nice eye either way.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Looks like a saugeye to me, dark patches on the body and just a bit of white on the bottom of the tail. Could be a walleye but I don't think it is.
And yeah, don't go telling on the lake it's from.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Who gives a ****? They bite the same, fight the same, and EAT the same.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Saugeye's are hard to tell sometimes. There is a light version that looks a lot like a walleye, {kind of like this fish}and a very distinct dark version. Here is two examples both Saugeye's.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I don't think they suspend as much a walleye's. Probably their sauger heritage is responsible or that. They also don't react to current the same way as a walleye.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
NICE HOG.... no matter the species....
Beats the S--T out of anything I've landed EYE WISE!
CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Nice fish!

I learned how to tell walleye from saugeye from a really old man who can could catch walleye out of a bath tub. We were fishing some local pond and me being the non believer, I said, I don't believe you. He said hold on, let me show you and he proceeded to catch a walleye on the very next cast. He said hold this walleye for a minute while I catch a saugeye. I was like - "rrright", but I obliged. So this old guy makes another cast and low and behold he caught a saugeye, which is why I believe his story about catching walleye out of his bath tub. Anyway, he instructed me to feel the gill plate on the first fish, it was smooth as water melon. He said, now feel the gill plate on this saugeye. Whooa, it was rough like sand paper. The old man then told me even you blondes can remember this lesson, smooth like watermelon is walleye, it starts with a "w", and saugeye is like sandpaper, it starts with "S".

Thank you for the lesson Zman.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
z must have taken you to the money hole on the East side of Sloans lake behind the island.

Gotta watch out for that money hole...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
z must have taken you to the money hole on the East side of Sloans lake behind the island.

Gotta watch out for that money hole...
Ummmm. No.

Learn a little humor edict, I pitched myself and Z under the bus.

Its difficult to try to be funny, well I thought i was funny. Start with throwing yourself under the bus with us. Funny doesn't come across well when you are piling on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts