Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this topic isn't inappropriate -- my main goal here is to try and save you guys/gals a few dollars on your gear. I'm in no way affiliated with the site I link below.

Last year I started buying gear from http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ as much as possible. If you sign up for their email flyer, they'll send you coupons for an additional 20-35% off frequently.

I've saved a few thousand dollars in the past 18 months using the site. For example:
- I buy my fluorocarbon tippet here when on sale. For the price of 1 spool at my local fly shop, I got 3 spools from STP.
- Waders + wading boots; saved over 60%.
- High quality fly reel; saved over 50%.
- etc.

http://www.backcountry.com/ is also decent, but in general they have higher prices than STP.

·
Registered
902 Posts
STP is a evil freaking trap... they have vampired me for a good 3k... if not more... great place to get name brand swag at Ross prices... i had to tell them to stop emailing me

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
They have good deals... I have had good luck with them for sure and easy to return ****.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't had any problems returning stuff either. The only problems I've had at all is getting charged the wrong amount when I visit the retail store in person, but that happens everywhere -- the world is full of idiots these days.

·
Registered
167 Posts
b. reelz,

Check Goodwill, ARC and Salvation Army stores. I have seen lots of wading boots for dirt cheap and occasionally, I see waders. Also, check garage sales and estate sales.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b. reelz,

Check Goodwill, ARC and Salvation Army stores. I have seen lots of wading boots for dirt cheap and occasionally, I see waders. Also, check garage sales and estate sales.
Thanks for the tip... I take it they have used gear and not new gear? I'm a bit picky when it comes to my gear, and probably wouldn't buy much of it used TBH.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you shop discount flies: https://www.discountflies.com/

Here's a coupon I recently got:

here is a coupon worth 15% off of your next purchase. (not valid on gift certificates) This coupon is only valid through Thursday, May 12. Coupon code: QUALITY FLIES

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If you shop discount flies: https://www.discountflies.com/

Here's a coupon I recently got:

here is a coupon worth 15% off of your next purchase. (not valid on gift certificates) This coupon is only valid through Thursday, May 12. Coupon code: QUALITY FLIES

Have you bought dries from them?

If so what do you think of them(quality)?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you bought dries from them?

If so what do you think of them(quality)?
I've only purchased nymphs from them to date. Mainly small ones (size 18-24).

I'm no tying expert, but IMO based on what I've seen so far:
- The imitations look good; just like the website pics.
- Durability is so-so. I've had a few of them start to "untie" rather easily.

However for the price (when compared to local shops), I'm willing to live with so-so durability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope this is the right place to post this. I found a crystal river 4-5 fly combo at a sporting good big box store that is closing.in Houston Texas I picked it up for 20.00 bucks new in the box . 8'- 8 section rod with a Model CR -4/5 reel. Has a little fly box, leader 9' of 4x and and something they are calling toying line 20 LB. 15 Yds. White. I have looked the internet inside and out and can not find Toying line. Does anyone know what toying line is? I do not think it is backing or fly line being only 15 yds . It feel like speaker wire without the wire inside, and it is solid. Thanks so much.

All fish must be caught once in their life to show them who is boss

1 - 20 of 26 Posts