Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at quincy I notice this large fish in pretty shallow water feeding at the top slowly, and myself just returning from mcconaughy initially thought oh a carp and then I realized that there are no carp there...I hope..anyways I sneak over towards the fish and throw my plastic worm at there and the fish goes under and right away I get a hit and I missed it:-\ continued to cast for ten minutes and got nothing. I moved back to my original spot and continued fishing and after about 20 minutes I see what I assumed to be the same fish about 100 feet out. This fish was atleast 3 feet long I could see his tail and his fin and tip of head and it swam out there for atleast 15 minutes. Right away I put on my heaviest swimbait and starting casting out there as far as I could and the fish was about 5 feet away from my casting range:mad: I don't know if the fish was just feeding at the top or was slowly dying, it kept going under and coming up 30 feet away and seemed to be splashing in an aggressive manor. Im assuming its a tiger muskie, and all I know is it was definitely a big fish!! I plan to go there all day tomorrow in hopes of seeing it again, or atleast finding it dead on shore...man would I like to catch this fish though;D;D

·
Registered
97 Posts
it was Tiger muskie for sure, most likely feeding on little bait towards the surface.
I've seen only 2 tigers in that lake in my last 8years of fishing there - same type of details you explain but one of them came right up to shore (about 36" or so, it was healthy and fat). It's very rare to see them since they have not been stocked for more than 10years and I don't believe they have future plans for more stocking.
Very unlikely that fish will be at that same spot the next day, but best of luck and hopefully we hear a report on your tiger!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Google is saying they only live 8-12 years

When was the last time they were stocked in Q

Was that last year when some CAT on the other board landed two

Anyone have that picture of those two that washed up on shore one inside the others mouth, both around 40"

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then it was definitely a tiger muskie out there it was basically doing the same thing as the fish in that video just much slower. The thing that kills me is im pretty sure got the fish to initially hit my lure and I missed it!!! Either that fish hit it or a bass that was right next to the thing hit it. Atleast I know that there is still one big muskie in there and I really wanna catch it!! I've been aware there were a few still swimming around in there caught quite a few perch this year with wounds on them that only a tiger muskie could inflict. Also found a crappie that was bit in half the other day... Its cold today but ill probably get out there soon. Is that picture of the fish in the others mouth from quincy reservoir?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Last October I was fishing at Blue Water lake in New Mexico for Tigers. The Tigers would swim around with the eyes and mouth out of the water. It was very interesting. I had not seen anything like that before. It is a great catch and release lake. The biggest we caught was 46". I all we caught 19 in two days. The biggest surprise was we caught the vast majority on small crankbaits and not big swimbaits. 31 pound tiger muskie 10 13.jpg

·
Registered
996 Posts
Last October I was fishing at Blue Water lake in New Mexico for Tigers. The Tigers would swim around with the eyes and mouth out of the water. It was very interesting. I had not seen anything like that before. It is a great catch and release lake. The biggest we caught was 46". I all we caught 19 in two days. The biggest surprise was we caught the vast majority on small crankbaits and not big swimbaits. View attachment 4081
Too bad Colorado doesn't have a serious stocking program for them. Seems they are a rare catch around here in most lakes where they have stocked them. I guess it's this state's bias about large predator fish.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Someone needs to go to Lake Palo Pinto in central Texas where the power plant warms the water, collect several giant alligator gar, bring them here and release them into the Platte north of Chatty...

The CPW will then understand what a mild fish tiger muskies are by comparison.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Someone needs to go to Lake Palo Pinto in central Texas where the power plant warms the water, collect several giant alligator gar, bring them here and release them into the Platte north of Chatty...

::)

·
Registered
9,164 Posts

tiger muskies and pike are known to attack ducks. the only thing Ive ever seen a gar do is school up and nibble the live shad off my hooks in OK....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Id just love to get some pike in the front rage reservoirs to make things a little more interesting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts