Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First report in ages, my shoulder is blown out and I have not been able to fish either fly or conventional since June. Hit the Gunnison on Saturday to find it cranking, over twice what is normal this time of year. Started with streamers and missed a half dozen before they went deep. Changed to a SJ worm and BH hares ear and it was on. The hofer strain bows are fat and strong and the browns are getting ready to spawn. I set the hook on a fish and he was GONE, he turned downstream and got into the current and I couldn't slow him down. I had to get out and run down the bank chasing him and losing ground. I saw almost all of my fly line leave the reel. Fish was a 22" brown, not huge but he was hot.

The moss is horrible, had to clean flies every other cast.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Glad to hear you're back fishing!

Sounds like you tied into a really nice fish!

:cool:

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the third time I have seen my backing, once on the Gunny and once on the Rado, the other 2 busted me off. I am back fishing because I have too but today I am in a lot of pain still.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No hopper action at all, the bushes are covered in them. I caught a few and threw them in to watch and nothing. The north fork was high and muddy so below the confluence was off color

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Too bad about the shoulder, but glad you are gettin better!

Congrats on the decent brown!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Nice job.

btw I see my backing all the time. It's right there on the reel. :smile:

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny Pete, at the moment when all the line is leaving the reel you have to think to yourself, did I tie a good knot?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Not sure I ever had that feeling. Guess I need to catch bigger fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts