Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from about 630 till dark, boy where there alot of people out. Apparently they didn't know about the ponds after the ones next to the parking lot, becuase it seemed like everyone concentrated on the first one. Anyways me and the gf walked back to some of the farther ponds and did okay. She caught two or three bass, and had a huge one break off and also a few bluegill. All I could manage was a little fingerling bass, and some wierd bass sunfish hybrid looking things. I never got into any bass, but it was a beautiful day of fishing. I was trying for crappie, but didnt get any this time, maybe next time.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
rob said:
Fished from about 630 till dark, boy where there alot of people out. Apparently they didn't know about the ponds after the ones next to the parking lot, becuase it seemed like everyone concentrated on the first one. Anyways me and the gf walked back to some of the farther ponds and did okay. She caught two or three bass, and had a huge one break off and also a few bluegill. All I could manage was a little fingerling bass, and some wierd bass sunfish hybrid looking things. I never got into any bass, but it was a beautiful day of fishing. I was trying for crappie, but didnt get any this time, maybe next time.
Rob, I'm curious about the bass/sunfish hybrid/mutants. Which pond were you at? I just wanna set a "elementary school-minded" mission to go catch one of those and take a picture. I also have an aquarium, but you didn't hear that from me.... ;D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what pond exactly, but I would say that it was the third big pond on the left, down the path about a mile. I was catching them on a crappie jig fished under a bubble. I wish I could be more specific about the location, but all those ponds look the same. The hybrid was wierd because it's face was just like a bass, but the mouth was a little smaller, it had a spot like a bluegill, and looked alot more like a bass than the photo posted by mastabassa. Also they were waaaay out in the middle, about as far as I could cast. When I go back I'll try to look and see exatcly what pond it was from the map.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at some pictures of the rock bass, and I think that they might be that, but the ones I caught were much darker and more vibrant colored like a sunfish or bluegill than the pictured ones, and they had different tails. So I don't know, hopefully a dow is around sometime so I can ask them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't speak for Rob, but the Bluegil/Crappie and maybe bass hybrid that I caught at Sawhill wasn't a rock bass. It had unmistakable bluegill features with some Crappie and Bass thrown in.

> ...but I would say that it was the third big pond on the left...

That's about where I caught my hybrid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm from back east you caught a warmouth sunfish, they look a little like rock bass but they have the head if a smallmouth bass, They taste great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts