Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I'm betting that the Jones Hole hatchery doesn't shut down. Those kokanee and rainbows mean too many angler dollars to that little corner of Utah.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The laker population is crashing on its own so fast that food will not be an issue for them either way. As has ALWAYS been the case, there's still plenty of food for the macks. Losing the Jones Hole stockers would be a blow indeed. However, not as catastrophic as the blatant killing of lakers by some, and mortality from overfishing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tarponjim said:
The laker population is crashing on its own so fast that food will not be an issue for them either way. As has ALWAYS been the case, there's still plenty of food for the macks. Losing the Jones Hole stockers would be a blow indeed. However, not as catastrophic as the blatant killing of lakers by some, and mortality from overfishing.
glad to see you over here as well Jim. hopefully a few people check out your site..... this guy knows what he is talking about when it comes to that little section of the state and the waters surrounding it.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
What one of the Utah DNR guys [DOW equivalent] posted on another board ~

Jones Hole raises almost all of the catchable rainbow trout (381K of the 513K in 2010) and about 300K fingerling kokanee for FG. They also raise and stock other regional waters including some on Diamond Mt., the Ute and Wind River Reservations, Steinaker Reservoir, and even Starvation Reservoir. As you can see, this will have a huge regional impact. They are a federal hatchery and this is a result of federal budget cuts. State budgets aren't any better, so it's doubtful either UT or WY could make-up this shortfall in the near future.

Since they were first stocked in 1960s, there's never been any official documentation of natural recruitment of rainbow trout in FG. We all observe them going through the motions in creeks, launch areas, etc. but never any ID of natural young. What you see in the catch is a result of stocking and most of this effort is Jones Hole Hatchery.

As you know, rainbows and kokanee are a huge component of FG fishery. Not only do lakers rely on both for forage (kokanee preferred followed by rainbows), but most of the anglers do too. Collectively, the two species are what most FG anglers are targeting (66%), catching (49%), and harvesting (65%). Any reductions in these two species will have major impacts, not only to the biology of the reservoir, but also to the economy.

Like Fishley stated, kokes don't need another blow, you all probably see their population reductions in your reduced catch rates. This would be even more of a blow for rainbow angling opportunities on the Gorge, and impact a lot of people.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Jeezus HTF are we ever going to get our dam affairs in order when even the great BHO's budget cuts piss people off?
What in the Hell are you people going to do when there are real budget cuts?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Jeezus HTF are we ever going to get our dam affairs in order when even the great BHO's budget cuts piss people off?
We'll cut the Jones Hole $600K from something you want and put it back into that hatchery. How's that?

What of your intersts would you like to offer up?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tarponjim said:
I'm going with what Jim say's, as always.
The danger of becoming food is much more of a threat to macks than the danger of not having any food. Sad thing is they end up as freezer burnt mush in someone's freezer who figures out that anything over 5 lbs tastes like crap. Or worse yet, a "trophy" on a wall collecting dust in a basement that no one ever goes in.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
We'll cut the Jones Hole $600K from something you want and put it back into that hatchery. How's that?

What of your intersts would you like to offer up?
Already been answered. No brainer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
First off that is the attitude that will be the death of this republic, second I watch 600K burned up in gas around here during summer camp on the shock boats.
Lastly you have no Idea of how my interests have been impacted already and I don't mean just my recreation.
By the time this is all over I doubt that hatchery will even register on the who gives a **** meter.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
It registers with me X-rap, and it's one of those expenditures that is critical to jobs in that part of the country. Whine on. Cutting that funding is just plain stupid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts