Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing a pontoon and looking for opinions based on knowlede/experience.

Looking at a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise and an Outcast Pac 900/1000.
As far as I can tell the main difference is a lean bar/platform to fish with on the Scadden. It seems they don't use the same criteria for weight capacity, so it is difficult to tell which one carries more - I plan to do overniters.

Bladder vs. bladderless?

Have read that Scadden is not the most customer oriented company(putting it nicely) as people have had difficulty with customer service/responses, Outcast seems to be the Gold Star standard for customer service for these type of products?

Suggestions for particular upgrades I might want to consider other than the usual? Will be primarily used on rivers.

TIA, JGB

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had the $500 Outcast for 5 years or so and with a few minor issues, it's well built and designed. Honestly, I can't see where the other $1000 goes for the PAC, but I'm guessing it's also a solid piece of equipment. I also have the Outcast float tube and it's also very nice, so I'm guessing it's a theme with the rest of their product line.

First upgrade should be adding locktite to the screws on the oarlocks. Trust me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the input mriddell.

Have been able to lay eyes on Outacast and am very impressed with quality of materials/craftmenship, wondering how Scadden compares as I haven't seen any of those boats first hand.

Also would consider a framed two-man raft that I could remove one seat and use it as a one-man raft with overnite gear and a dog. Have not read good things about such short rafts though - track like an inner tube?

Outcast PACS are pricey, no doubt.

·
Registered
444 Posts
if interested... I have a Scadden Avenger. You can have the frame set as a toon and float rivers or flip the frame and turn it into a one person bass boat and it accepts up to a 10 horse outboard and an electric up front. it also comes with the second frame so you can have a two person drift boat, if you will, that I have been pondering selling for a little while. here is what it looks like with two frames:

https://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/product-page/avenger-xx

has the upgraded carbon fiber oars, lean bar, stripping basket, all 4 bags/tackle boxes, large rear deck already set up for gas outboars, upgraded seats, etc.. if its something you are interested in send me a PM and we can talk number.

one more thing... if you look at the bottom of my sig there is a link to my **** blog. look through some of the older posts and you can see it in action on rivers and on lakes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the responses.

Thx for the offer infidel. Have seen that one, might have to consider it.

CF Lurker - Have seen those ones, and others like it. Incredible boats, look like boats for the Apocalypse! I just need one for Class I-II rapids though. Easy set-up and easy hauling a priority too, don't want to have to trailer it.

Wish I could find a place that shows Scaddens... Moving from Denver to Bozeman(I know, I know...gotta pinch myself), might have to swing thru Ogden next trip up.

Thx again for opining.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thx for the offer infidel. Have seen that one, might have to consider it.

CF Lurker - Have seen those ones, and others like it. Incredible boats, look like boats for the Apocalypse! I just need one for Class I-II rapids though. Easy set-up and easy hauling a priority too, don't want to have to trailer it.

Wish I could find a place that shows Scaddens... Moving from Denver to Bozeman(I know, I know...gotta pinch myself), might have to swing thru Ogden next trip up.

Thx again for opining.
If you are down in the COS area during a weekend, give me a heads up... ill PM you my number. Ill set the boat up for you in the front yard so you can take a llok. only takes a few minutes with the high volume electric pump that comes with the boat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the offer infidel, but I think I am going the PAC10 route.

Cheers, JGB

·
Registered
413 Posts
Other than securing the oarlocks as I mentioned earlier, get an electric pump that plugs into your vehicle's accessory socket. I don't mind the hand pump for the float tube, but it sucks for the toons.

The removable wheel is a nice add-on to have if you can't drive right to your launch point, but it sucks leaving it attached while you fish (causes a bunch of drag). I usually hide mine in the weeds somewhere near the launch, or carry it back to the truck. I also added rod-holders and a portable fish-finder. Not sure if those features would be as feasible where you're planning on running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts