Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats everyones take on using scent on lures ...is it worth the money? If you do use scents what kind ?

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
Ive tried it twice in 25 years of fishin. My buddy swears by it but he never catches any more than I do.I dont see how it can hurt,but I just dont know if its worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I use scents for 2 purposes

1. cover up my own scent.  (as nice as it may be I don't think it helps attract fish)

2. When I am targeting fish that rely heavily on scent for finding food.  (like trout and catfish)

Berkely makes a decent trout attractor in a squeeze tube and in the past I have used other types of scents for bass and the such.  The problem is it came in a spray bottle and they  tend to leak and break open.  The downside was my care smelled for months the upside my lures and tackle were all prescented!

The expense...... I suppose they are worth it.  They cost less than one Rapala and I have tons of them that I have never caught anything on.

Dan

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used them as a kid and thought they worked....but then again I also bought the flying lure and banjo minnow.....hahhahaa thats why I have a fishing room for all the lures I was convinced will work when i bought them pretty soon I give up on them and put them in a box in my fishing room ....my wife keeps bugging me the throw them away but I just cant do it never know when one will come in handy

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I really believe that scents work. I hardly use them now (except pre-scented artificialls). However, when it starts getting colder, and the fish are more sliggish, I'll get them out. There were quite a few times last winter, they helped out. I use Mike's and Nitro.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i recently purchased some berkley spinners with these cages that you can put either power bait in or a gel has any one used theese before.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have been using Mega Strike, I won it on another site. I do not think it attracts the fish so much as it increases the time the fish will keep it in its mouthbefore it realizes it is not something natural...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think scents work. i use them mostly to cover up my own smell. I have used the berkely stuff for trout and walleye. Wierd how I only caught bass and sunfish on the walleye scent. Now I have started using smelly jelly and like it a lot. It sticks on to my bait really well even after several casts.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
meandmydog --- It sounds like you're talking about scent vents ? They're made by Berkly. I've caught a few Trout off them. I haven't used them in a while. I put power-bait in the mesh/cage, and got tired of cleaning it out. I'll have to give em another shot w/ the gell.

Another scent/type lure I think works well is Exude. I've caught quite a few Bass w/ their grubs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
yea thats them. they just looked diff. so i picked them up on clearence at k-mart thought i would try them at mcconaughy this weekend also i do use bass scent and i hooked into some nice largemouth at riverbend ponds in ft. collins before i used it there i didn't get a single hit so either a good day or the scent i am still working on bass techniques so either way i will take it

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like to use scents on lures that are porus like marabu jigs it certainly doesnt seam to hurt. ive even been known to use them on live bait mostly worms

i think the sent helps more with a slower presentation more time for the scent to work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts