Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a PSA here since I ran into this issue and never found any reference to it on the internet via google searches. This needs to be out there.

I bought a Scott Flex a month ago. When I got the rod I came to discover that the reel I wanted to use on it, a Lamson Litespeed 2, had a reel foot that was too short to lock into the reel seat. Most of my reels are Lamsons from this era and all of them either didn't lock into the reel seat or came daringly close to running out of threads for the uplocking ring.

The reels which won't lock in are the Lamson Velocity 1.5, Lamson Velocity 2, and Lamson Litespeed 2. The Lamson ULA Force 3 and Lamson Speedster 1.5 (which is a newer reel) were able to lock in just barely by the last 1 or 2 threads which is risky IMO.

Scott Customer Service told me that older Lamsons have shorter reel feet and will not fit on these rods. They refused to take the rod back and refund me my money.

This is what it looks like:

This is a side by side comparison with a Scott G2 which has enough threads to accommodate these reels.

I'm also including photos of the Lamson Litespeed and Velocity models which will not mount to this rod since I'm having a hard time figuring out what era they were officially manufactured. Hopefully this will save someone the headache that I am dealing with right now.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Those reels will fit on a spinning rod NO problem-

·
Registered
356 Posts
Would certainly be the last Scott product I bought..

Did you try escalating the issue by talking to a supervisor?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She informed me that the President of the company said that the reel seats are made to spec and they ain't budging. I don't entirely blame them. But I think that people should be aware of the potential problem.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update - I just got off the phone with Lamson. They said that they have made the same size reel foot forever, from old to new, and don't have a different size to sell me.

If you buy a Scott Flex there's a better than not chance that you cannot use a Lamson on it.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
F Scott... That's so stupid. If that's their way of taking care of customers, I'm no longer one. I would put them on blast in several places. I can't believe your statement of "I can't entirely blame them". Nonsense... Lamson is one of the most popular reels in the business and is so so common at the same shops selling Scott. That's not the way to treat customers dropping $500-1k on rods.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
F Scott... That's so stupid. If that's their way of taking care of customers, I'm no longer one. I would put them on blast in several places. I can't believe your statement of "I can't entirely blame them". Nonsense... Lamson is one of the most popular reels in the business and is so so common at the same shops selling Scott. That's not the way to treat customers dropping $500-1k on rods.
I'm really really trying to be objective about this. But I also said that taking Scott's word that Lamson's old reel foots were short. After calling Lamson and hearing that that is a made up story, I'm back to pissed off.

I will absolutely never buy a Scott rod again.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Upon further review, y ou need some gap filler, like a washer or a collar, that would be the easiest option. Boil a pot of water and hold the butt end in the boiling water to woften the epoxy. might take a few minutes for the heat to work it's magic, then use some plairs that won't mar the cap, and remove the cap, unscrew the seat nut, insert the collar or washers, then reinstall with new epoxy.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good advice. I'm either going to try to swap out the reel foot with one of my other reels first. If that doesn't work, then I'll try to remove the butt and add an insert like you are suggesting. Both of those options are less hassle and cheaper than selling/buying reels.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Upon further review, y ou need some gap filler, like a washer or a collar, that would be the easiest option. Boil a pot of water and hold the butt end in the boiling water to woften the epoxy. might take a few minutes for the heat to work it's magic, then use some plairs that won't mar the cap, and remove the cap, unscrew the seat nut, insert the collar or washers, then reinstall with new epoxy.
This sounds like a way to re-do the cork handle on my pike/walleye/salmon/steelhead/ rod. Yeah, it gets around. The cork is kinda disintegrating on my old reddington rod. I literally have it held together with big bandaids. I know this has nothing to do with Scott rods, but I have been wondering how a cheap ass such as myself goes about getting that reel seat off to get to the cork.

·
Registered
239 Posts
From what shop was the rod purchased? Or did it come from Scott Custom Shop?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
This sounds like a way to re-do the cork handle on my pike/walleye/salmon/steelhead/ rod. Yeah, it gets around. The cork is kinda disintegrating on my old reddington rod. I literally have it held together with big bandaids. I know this has nothing to do with Scott rods, but I have been wondering how a cheap ass such as myself goes about getting that reel seat off to get to the cork.
Your best solution is to cut both off and get a new seat and cork. At that point, you can either remove everything from that section and asseble from top down, or assemble from the bottom up and only do the cork and seat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts