Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test cast one the other day at Anglers All and was kind of dissapointed.

If my timing was what it liked it sure would zing the line out, in fact I'd worry it would slap a dry down to hard the way it zinged. I found myself having to really concentrate on my timing to get nice loops and casts.

I dunno maybe I'm a shitty caster, I'm self taught, but I've never found any other rod to be so picky and I own an A3 and and E4 Scott allready so I'm a fan of Scott rods.

Any thoughts from the guru's of the forum?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I need to cast that rod.. I hear mixed views... My favorite rod that is in that same category is a winston Biix... seems like that is kind of what Scott is trying to do. Once I cast, I will come back and discuss for sure....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Test cast one the other day at Anglers All and was kind of dissapointed.

If my timing was what it liked it sure would zing the line out, in fact I'd worry it would slap a dry down to hard the way it zinged. I found myself having to really concentrate on my timing to get nice loops and casts.

I dunno maybe I'm a shitty caster, I'm self taught, but I've never found any other rod to be so picky and I own an A3 and and E4 Scott allready so I'm a fan of Scott rods.

Any thoughts from the guru's of the forum?
I vote shitty caster.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oyey, thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would.

Homeboy, I see you picked 4 words out of my post to focus on, but didn't expound on why that should be a valid opinion IE: you've cast a Radian and it works great for you??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey PD,

I have a 9' 5wt Radian and absolutely love it. I test cast a ton of different rods when I was looking for a new nice set up and the Radian was the most comfortable to me.

In my opinion, Scott nailed it when they chose the tag line of the Radian to be "fast with feel", however, I will say that when you are in tight with a light rig on (dry set up or light nymph set up) it definitely lacks a bit in the "feel" category.

I think this can be expected, though, it is a fast rod after all. If I was fishing primarily light set ups I would think about going a half line weight heavy as that should help load the road better in tight.

I would say once you get about 15-20 feet of line out (pretty trouty distance) the rod absolutely comes to life. It is capable of handling heavy nymph rig pay loads, moderately sized streamers and is a canon without being a broom stick.

I just bought a Scott 8wt Tidal and while it is a hefty rod, I found myself needing to slow down my stroke to truly get it to sing. As with any rods, they are all different and you will have to adjust your stroke as necessary or simply find a stick that suits your stroke.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That does help. I'd say your on the money with the light set up part and the 1/2 size heavy. I agree it cast very well with 15-20 ft out.

Glad it worked out for you and you like it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a 4wt Radian with a Rio Gold on it, I absolutely love it. It's a rocket and very accurate...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oyey, thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would.

Homeboy, I see you picked 4 words out of my post to focus on, but didn't expound on why that should be a valid opinion IE: you've cast a Radian and it works great for you??
I have no idea what a "radian" is?? All I know is that a good caster can pick up most anything and catch fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts