Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off meet Darvin (Alpineangler) and Mike (Slayerfish) and friend Ken out there today. Nice talking and fishing by you guys. Second, today was about the closest I've come to shitting my pants on the ice. Me and Dad were our on the ice and fishing from 6:50-10:15am. 7 inches of ice in 13 feet of water. Big pressure crack right off shore at Sucker Cove. 2 guys crossed the crack and fished, crazy!! I had 2 bites and Dad had 3 bites. Real light. I caught a 16" rainbow on Dad's pole when he was away using the restroom. Was about 7 other anglers in this area. Once the sun came out from behind the clouds at 9:15 the ice started cracking, popping, screaming, and singing. About 9:20 Dad said "Its gonna crack." Was real loud and the whole pack shook, water and ice came about a foot up into the air 20 feet away from us and the pressure crack widened. Did that again at 9:35. Almost like being at the amusement park, especially when Mike let out his banshee scream. Saw 2 other anglers on the front side by North Shore campground. Open water in the middle by Goose Island. Witcher Cove looked safe. The rest of the lake looked scary at best. Be careful out there. Sure wish winter would show up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Holy Moley Crapoly, EDB! Sounds like an exciting ride, for sure.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it was slow. Maybe it the wind blowing 20-40 miles with the storm coming in. Be back next week if the ice holds up. Maybe Antero or Elevenmile will get some snow. Maybe I'll try Skaguay. Anyone know if there's good ice there yet? ???

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Slayer just called me and said it opened up and he pretty much had open water all around him. Other then trying to figure out away to get back to shore without swimming he's catching allot of fish.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the report EDB! Jeff & I are waiting for a little more ice than that before we go. You guys be careful out there and keep us posted. I hope Slayer is okay out there too!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
EDB,

Thanks for the update on the Mile. I was just in at Outlaw Bait in the Springs and Bob told me that Skaguay had 6" of good ice on it but that it melted along the shore and the ice was 2 feet away.

We are hurting for cold. Glad you guys are all OK.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information there on Skaguay, _Colorado. Have to bring some 2X6's, Michigan style. When I was a kid on Lake Huron, there be a crossing points at the presurre cracks where everyone crossed. Be 2X6's and plywood. Aim the 4-wheeler or snowmobile, gun and hope you made it!! We plan on going next week weather permitting. Suppossed to be cold tonight through Sunday morning then warm up again. Yeah, Trout Slayer and Ken were in a spot that had shallow ice around them, looked like only an inch or so. Darvin left when we did, said he had an antelope to butcher. Hope everyone made it off the ice at 11-mile today.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Who's this "Darvin/Alpineangler" guy?!?!?!? Actually it is Darvon and Alpinefisher. ;) It was great to meet you and your dad, Jeff; plus Slayer in person finally.

Yep, that was exciting when the slab of ice your on moves back and forth enough to make you catch yourself while sitting in a chair. :eek: :D

Fished from 7:00 or so till 10:00 or so, marked 5-6 fish (that I saw), had 3 bites, hooked two, lost first at hole and ice one(17-18").

What's up with people thinking they need to set up on your "doorstep"? Especially when you don't know them.

On the way home I also saw two areas of open water, in the channel area near Goose Island like Jeff mentioned and also between Howbert and the marina.

& I'm still cutting up antelope meat!

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I was gonna say Darvin also. I got Alpine fisher right though. The ice stayed pretty stable till we left @330. You could flyfish that open water. Also a large crack walking around the point toward the parking lot. Right when we were leaving who should appear but RAD. Talked a little but we had to leave. Nice to meet you EDB. And your DAd. I got 9 bows and a 18" pike. Saw a 36" pike fin under the hut about 2 ft under. Real cool. I reached for another rod and spooked it. Windy as crap all afternoon til we left when it was dead calm. Decent fishing, funky ice. I TRUELY could have fished the open water.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We were on 11 mile today fishing with Rad. We were on the north side in the morning when the ice was jumping, PUCKER CITY!!! that's the sketchiest ice i've ever fished... The 2 crazies who crossed the crack was us! LOL, my buddy ended up nailing a big bow right there so the risk payed off.

Everyone be safe if you're hitting 11 mile, we'll be out there again tomorrow! Spoons and small orange jigs have been the ticket... Thursday I landed my first pike through the ice, 28". Will get up a report on the entire week when I get back to Albuquerque.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allright Darvon I need some spelling lessons. :D I know we talked some online during last years ice season. Was that antelope a buck or doe? Will have have to meet up again since we live so close! Those guys did set up right in front of you. They were from that other website. >:D Was great talking to Slayerfish. Seen the master in action. ;) I've seen some huge pike out there under the ice. RAD and NMFISHIN crossed that crack. Me and Dad had the rope ready! Can't wait to see your report.

·
Registered
386 Posts
NM,

"The risk paid off, nailed a big bow"?????

I fish quite a bit, (120+ days a year) I don't think I'd rish my life on any unstable ice, even if it meant catching five 10# trout....Just my $0.02.

Your adults, do what you wish, but use some common sense.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
whadleyco said:
NM,

"The risk paid off, nailed a big bow"?????

I fish quite a bit, (120+ days a year) I don't think I'd rish my life on any unstable ice, even if it meant catching five 10# trout....Just my $0.02.

Your adults, do what you wish, but use some common sense.
I saw that bow, looked about 19" or so. If they had fallen in, we had a rope and our super -duper cleats on. We'd a had em out in a second! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
The ice was actually 6" thick right on the edge, today the ice was really weakening though. The 8" holes I drilled in the morning were 10+" at the bottom of the hole by 3!! I wear safety spikes around my neck at all times when on ice like that but good to know you had our back slayerfish!!! That bow actually measured 22", beautiful fish!
Hitting antero tommorrow before we drive back home, hopefully we can get lucky. Reports have been real hit or miss, more so miss so...(fingerscrossed).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts