Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
i was fishing up in the mountains and had my XD on later i decided to hit the lake at memorial park and while i was fishing i heard some dude freak out and start screaming about a gun. Looked around and didnt see anyone with a gun so i went back to fishing forgetting that i had mine on and openly carried. the next thing i know i have 4 UC cars come barreling in on me and i am then asked why i am carrying a gun, and why was i brandishing it. I laughed and said 1 my hands were full of a fishing rod so i didnt and couldnt have brandished it and 2 its legal according to colorado law and there is nothing in the rules of this park that says it is not allowed. they took my gun and id and sat me at a table while they ran my name and the serial number on the gun. after 2 hours they finally said that it was all clear and asked for my keys. they came back five minutes later said my pistol was under the drivers seat my mag was under the passenger seat and we are keeping the ammo. I said that i want a receipt for the ammo since 14 rounds of corbon .45 acp is 35 dollars a box i want to prove to the city treasurer that the city owed me 30 dollars towards a new box and they gave me my ammo back lol

that was the worst i have ever had to deal with

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FPF said:
anyone out there take full advantage of colorado's open carry? if so do you get harassed for it?
Only when I'm in National Forest land.

The police don't like armed citizens, I've discovered... I say this though, if everyone was wearing a side arm, there would be far less Billy Badasses...

;)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
azbassernco said:
i was fishing up in the mountains and had my XD on later i decided to hit the lake at memorial park and while i was fishing i heard some dude freak out and start screaming about a gun. Looked around and didnt see anyone with a gun so i went back to fishing forgetting that i had mine on and openly carried. the next thing i know i have 4 UC cars come barreling in on me and i am then asked why i am carrying a gun, and why was i brandishing it. I laughed and said 1 my hands were full of a fishing rod so i didnt and couldnt have brandished it and 2 its legal according to colorado law and there is nothing in the rules of this park that says it is not allowed. they took my gun and id and sat me at a table while they ran my name and the serial number on the gun. after 2 hours they finally said that it was all clear and asked for my keys. they came back five minutes later said my pistol was under the drivers seat my mag was under the passenger seat and we are keeping the ammo. I said that i want a receipt for the ammo since 14 rounds of corbon .45 acp is 35 dollars a box i want to prove to the city treasurer that the city owed me 30 dollars towards a new box and they gave me my ammo back lol

that was the worst i have ever had to deal with
dude id be so pissed. they wasted your whole day punnishing you for nothing!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
It may not have been for nothing. Open carry is legal only where it's not PROHIBITED. Which means, if you don't know you're in a prohibited area, they (and rightfully so) should detain and question you.

Sure, you may be the responsible gun owner, but do the other people at the park, open space, ect. know that? Would you be comfortable with someone with a side arm at the park you're at with your wife and kids?

If you're legal and legit, you have nothing to worry about....so why complain if the cops do their job?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I'm sure glad that I'm not so insecure about my manhood that I need to have a gun on me at all times. Probably go and ruin a whole day of fishing or something.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
I'm sure glad that I'm not so insecure about my manhood that I need to have a gun on me at all times. Probably go and ruin a whole day of fishing or something.
Oh yeah, well "my GUN is bigger than yours!" :eek:

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
It's peculiar. I've NEVER had a gun pointed at me when I wasn't carrying a gun.
It's happened to me on a few occasions... Most involved the Serve and Protectors, a few others involved the NON law abiding gun owners....

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
-Michael Moore

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:
It may not have been for nothing. Open carry is legal only where it's not PROHIBITED. Which means, if you don't know you're in a prohibited area, they (and rightfully so) should detain and question you.

Sure, you may be the responsible gun owner, but do the other people at the park, open space, ect. know that? Would you be comfortable with someone with a side arm at the park you're at with your wife and kids?

If you're legal and legit, you have nothing to worry about....so why complain if the cops do their job?
if they made it quick i wouldnt care but a two hour ordeal is rediculous

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FPF said:
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:

if they made it quick i wouldnt care but a two hour ordeal is rediculous
Dude, seriously? You have to consider the situation. Open carry is not looked well upon. If you were a cop, is it really possible to be TOO thorough?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts