Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread someone had posted about favorite lures. I don't see it anymore. Anyhoo, I was gearing up for some open water yesterday.

The three tackle box of hardbaits I carry on foot, chasing for walleyes:

There are other lures I'll when fishing from the boat.

All rigged up for tonight:

I hope to find some soft water. The two particular jerkbaits are what I throw the most. I might not even take the swimbait rod tonight. I hate carrying two rods.

What you throwing this year?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those BBZ 1's are my go to. Those suckers catch fish.
I have yet to catch a walleye on them... Only caught one pike, one slimer, and one laker on it. :-[ I have some of the BBZ shads too that I don't carry with me. They've only caught me one tiny smallie. :sad:

·
Registered
496 Posts
What have I been throwing - mostly up! Have the flu and bronchitis.....

However, as to lures I am 99% a flyfisher so it always amazes me the different lures and the terminology (names of the lures). Those look like pretty well stocked boxes. Aren't they a bit heavy to be carrying around. I could understand having them on a boat, canoe, pontoon or whatever but carrying them around? And I thought I was crazy for all the fly boxes I carry.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aren't they a bit heavy to be carrying around. I could understand having them on a boat, canoe, pontoon or whatever but carrying them around? And I thought I was crazy for all the fly boxes I carry.
I think they are 2 pounds max each. No biggie in a backpack. It's the rods that are a pain...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the 8"ers on lake trout and am very successful. They don't kill the walleyes for me either, but I always get excited when I pull it out of the tackle box. Too bad they cost an arm and a leg.
Last year is the first year that I started throwing swimbaits. I kinda got excited about them, then I just went back to jerkbaits... I'll definitely throw them for pike and I'll try them for lakers, but I don't fish for those two species very often.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I cant really bring myself to leave options at home lol.... I almost always bring i bit of everything(Jerks, Cranks, plastics, etc)

I guess it kinda comes down to the amount of lures i have... I can bring almost everything with me(or atleast a little of each) because i dont have that much gear... yet.... And I still have a strong back!! LOL

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cant really bring myself to leave options at home lol....
I try to not bring everything. Just depends what I am going for. BUT I HATE being outfished by my buddy when he happens to have the hot lure of the situation, so... :D Of course, it's not just the lure but the fisherman sometimes. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I should show your boxes to my wife. She was giving me crap for coming home with a few handfuls of new lures last night, asking “Do you even use all the ones you already have, or are you just buying for a rainy day?” Yeah, I kind of am buying them for a rainy day... but I didnt get into explaining to her how you would use different colors of the lures for a rainy day vs a sunny day.

I’ll try to get some pics tonight. I’m itching for some open water.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Good timing. I was just loading trolling baits and dreaming of screaming drags!
Sweet! Looks like a lot of DD Husky Jerks, Shad Raps, Flicker Shads, maybe some Reef Runners? Can't really see well. Did you or anyone ever tried the Scatter Raps. I haven't caught chit on it yet, but haven't used it much either. My box of trolling lures:

Needless to say, I don't troll much. I also use some of the same lures I throw from shore for trolling. Good luck to you on the new boat. You got a sweet deal on it (I saw it on Walleyecentral).

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should show your boxes to my wife. She was giving me crap for coming home with a few handfuls of new lures
Maybe that's the problem. I usually don't spend more than $60 on lures at a time. Just ordered 4 lures for $57 today. Helps me stay under the radar... Just buy more frequently. :D

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.