Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread someone had posted about favorite lures. I don't see it anymore. Anyhoo, I was gearing up for some open water yesterday.

The three tackle box of hardbaits I carry on foot, chasing for walleyes:

There are other lures I'll when fishing from the boat.

All rigged up for tonight:

I hope to find some soft water. The two particular jerkbaits are what I throw the most. I might not even take the swimbait rod tonight. I hate carrying two rods.

What you throwing this year?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those BBZ 1's are my go to. Those suckers catch fish.
I have yet to catch a walleye on them... Only caught one pike, one slimer, and one laker on it. :-[ I have some of the BBZ shads too that I don't carry with me. They've only caught me one tiny smallie. :sad:

·
Registered
485 Posts
What have I been throwing - mostly up! Have the flu and bronchitis.....

However, as to lures I am 99% a flyfisher so it always amazes me the different lures and the terminology (names of the lures). Those look like pretty well stocked boxes. Aren't they a bit heavy to be carrying around. I could understand having them on a boat, canoe, pontoon or whatever but carrying them around? And I thought I was crazy for all the fly boxes I carry.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I use the 8"ers on lake trout and am very successful. They don't kill the walleyes for me either, but I always get excited when I pull it out of the tackle box. Too bad they cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aren't they a bit heavy to be carrying around. I could understand having them on a boat, canoe, pontoon or whatever but carrying them around? And I thought I was crazy for all the fly boxes I carry.
I think they are 2 pounds max each. No biggie in a backpack. It's the rods that are a pain...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the 8"ers on lake trout and am very successful. They don't kill the walleyes for me either, but I always get excited when I pull it out of the tackle box. Too bad they cost an arm and a leg.
Last year is the first year that I started throwing swimbaits. I kinda got excited about them, then I just went back to jerkbaits... I'll definitely throw them for pike and I'll try them for lakers, but I don't fish for those two species very often.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I cant really bring myself to leave options at home lol.... I almost always bring i bit of everything(Jerks, Cranks, plastics, etc)

I guess it kinda comes down to the amount of lures i have... I can bring almost everything with me(or atleast a little of each) because i dont have that much gear... yet.... And I still have a strong back!! LOL

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've had a decent ice season, but ya I'm ready for open water.

Watching for some close spots to open up hopefully with this warm weather we are having.

Nice post of the hardbaits there...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant really bring myself to leave options at home lol....
I try to not bring everything. Just depends what I am going for. BUT I HATE being outfished by my buddy when he happens to have the hot lure of the situation, so... :D Of course, it's not just the lure but the fisherman sometimes. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I should show your boxes to my wife. She was giving me crap for coming home with a few handfuls of new lures last night, asking “Do you even use all the ones you already have, or are you just buying for a rainy day?” Yeah, I kind of am buying them for a rainy day... but I didnt get into explaining to her how you would use different colors of the lures for a rainy day vs a sunny day.

I’ll try to get some pics tonight. I’m itching for some open water.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good timing. I was just loading trolling baits and dreaming of screaming drags!
Sweet! Looks like a lot of DD Husky Jerks, Shad Raps, Flicker Shads, maybe some Reef Runners? Can't really see well. Did you or anyone ever tried the Scatter Raps. I haven't caught chit on it yet, but haven't used it much either. My box of trolling lures:

Needless to say, I don't troll much. I also use some of the same lures I throw from shore for trolling. Good luck to you on the new boat. You got a sweet deal on it (I saw it on Walleyecentral).

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
AO I really only fish rivers open water an thats been the ticket for me. I did mix it up a little last year and throw rattle traps at night and caught some nice browns.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should show your boxes to my wife. She was giving me crap for coming home with a few handfuls of new lures
Maybe that's the problem. I usually don't spend more than $60 on lures at a time. Just ordered 4 lures for $57 today. Helps me stay under the radar... Just buy more frequently. :D

1 - 20 of 120 Posts