Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me a while to post but better late than never. Encountered locked gate at Gateway Park at 7am on the 21st.Walked to Seaman (love that name!) in about 20 mins.Caught a perch first cast on a gold bouyant. Grabbed other rod with twister tail and caught another perch,missed several.Switched to 1.5" brown tube and just slayed the perch.Caught 20 and missed many more. Also caught a 17" bobo. I then hiked along the cliff of death all the way to the inlet.It was frozen and seemed to be very little flow.Hiked back to where I started and caught prolly 10 more perch and another 17" bo and a 13" brown. All on the little brown tube. Great place,had the lake to myself!

Went back with a buddy on the 26th. We didnt get fishing till about 1130 am.Couldn't buy a bite on the brown tube! Finally caught 2 10" perch on a 1/4 oz. gold kasty.Missed several on same.Also tried some bait on the bottom but nada.Started throwin a 3" twister and missed a NICE browny that went around 20".Missed several more (perch?) bites. I blame the lack of catching on the incoming front and the late start. I like that place,reminds me of Cheesman!Not bad for first time fishing there.Later-

·
Registered
691 Posts
Seaman Res is an interesting place. My son and I have fished it out of float tubes a few times with sinking fly lines. My biggest is a 21" rainbow on a woolly bugger, but I've heard "reliable" reports of browns pushing upper 20's. We made the mistake of keeping about 30 small perch once (due to my son's insistence). After much tears, pain, and blood on cleaning those fish, I made an executive decision that we would never do that again. I've heard rumors of large walleye in that lake, also. John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Slayer- that's funny! I too have wrestled with the "cliff-of-death" there, but it turns out that there is a key switchback that is literally behind a bush and by-passes that whole cliff thing. I hope you didn't have to carry your fishing pole in your teeth like I did!

Ah man, I just laugh thinking about that.....

PM me next time you decide to go up there and I'll describe the "secret passage" the best I can.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah,after I had done the cliff of death I figured it would be easier to go up that gully and go above the cliff,but it was good exercise anyway! ;D I'll for sure be back there in the spring. What the hell are those little trees with the gigantic thorns? Whats up with them.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The thorny bushes are there to keep the whimps out. The perch at Seaman are generally good-sized (10-11" or more), when I catch them. Can't verify the walleye reports, but the huge perch population provides nice forage for the big trout there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Those bushes with thorns are wild plums around mid August they ripen up into some of the most tasty fruit I have ever had. you just pick the peach colored fruits off the branches and suck out the insides. The peel is exceptionally sour though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
16fttracker said:
will the lake freeze over and when will it Ice out?
Seaman is usually fishable through ice for at least a few weeks, and not until sometime in January for good ice. It's lower elevation than a lot of the other lakes nearby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts